This slow cooker braised beef is an easy solution to the weeknight dinner dilemma facing your family. Let the slow cooker do all the work for you!
- 3 lbs. beef chuck roast (cut into large cubes)
- 1 large yellow onion (diced)
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 4 tablespoons + 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1 cup bourbon
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Kosher salt
- fresh cracked pepper
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil a large saute pan over medium high heat. Season beef with a liberal amount of salt and pepper.
- Working in batches, sear all sides of each piece of beef until dark brown. A good rule of thumb is that the meat is done searing when it can easily be removed from the surface of the pan; if it’s sticking it’s not done yet. You are not trying to cook the meat through at this point, just adding a layer of flavor.
- Transfer seared beef to a large crock pot. Add 2 more tablespoons olive oil to the pan and sear remaining batch of beef, then transfer to crock pot.
- Add remaining 2 teaspoons olive oil to the same pan and turn heat to medium. Add onion and a pinch of salt and pepper. Saute, stirring frequently for 4 minutes.
- Then add garlic and saute for another minute, stirring frequently. Transfer onion and garlic to the crock pot.
- Then add beef broth, bourbon, Worcestershire, Dijon, thyme and a liberal amount of salt and pepper.
- Stir to combine, cover and cook on high for 4-5 hours or until the beef is fork tender and pulls apart easily. Serve with my favorite garlic mashed sweet potatoes. Enjoy!
Keywords: mashed potatoes, crock pot, easy, simple, recipe, family, dinner, weeknight, meal, comfort food, meal prep