This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This vegan butternut squash soup is loaded with Moroccan inspired flavors of curry powder, cumin, paprika and sage. And the best part is that the oven does all the work for you in roasting these hearty, healthy veggies! This squash soup is super cozy and inviting - perfect for when the temps start to drop but you still want to make sure you're getting all your veggies.
You'll Love This
- The flavors are incredible! It's literally hands down my favorite roasted veggie soup that I've ever made - and that's saying a lot! It's loaded with subtle Moroccan inspired spices and the texture is perfectly smooth and creamy! It's quite a myriad of herbs and spices, I know. But they all play off each other perfectly and create a harmonious flavor that really compliments the veggies, but still allows them to shine.
- It's SUPER easy to throw together! The veggies are roasted in the oven, which means you spend just a few minutes prepping them and then it's basically hands off cook time while the oven does all the work.
- It's unexpected! This is definitely a soup that your friends and family probably haven't tried before so it makes for a great dinner party course or just a little something fun to make when you're having friends over for dinner!
Place garlic in the center of a small piece of foil. Arrange squash, carrots and onion in a single layer on a parchment lined baking sheet.
Drizzle squash, carrots, onion and garlic with oil.
Sprinkle seasoning over squash, carrots and onion in an even layer.
Toss to coat veggies evenly in the seasoning. Fold the corners of the foil up, creating a sealed pouch around the garlic.
Roast veggies for 1 hour or until the squash and carrots are fork tender. Remove from oven and allow to cool for a few minutes.
Transfer roasted veggies to a high speed blender. Squeeze roasted garlic from the skins and into the blender as well.
Add the vegetable stock.
Blend on high for about 3-5 minutes or until it is smooth.
Pour pureed mixture into a large pot over medium heat. Stir in heavy cream and vinegar. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
Garnish squash soup with red pepper flakes and fresh chopped cilantro.
- If you're not worried about this soup being vegan feel free to add ½-1 cup heavy cream in place of the coconut milk. It will have a very similar flavor and texture.
- You can use other veggies in place of the squash and carrots, just be sure the ratios remain the same so the consistency of the soup is not compromised. You could use sweet potatoes, parsnips, turnips or even rutabaga. You could also try all carrots or all squash. It's really up to you. Two pounds of any root vegetable could be used in place of the squash and carrots.
- To reheat this vegan butternut squash soup, heat on the stove over medium heat until warmed through. Always remember to season to taste with salt and pepper after reheating as the soup will need a little boost after sitting in the fridge.
Other hearty veggie soups you'll love:
- Beer Cheese Soup with Sausage & Potatoes
- Quick Vegan Tomato Soup
- Easy Broccoli Cheese Soup
- Roasted Carrot Soup
- Vegan Curry Lentil & Potato Soup
- Creamy Tuscan Tomato Tortellini Soup
This post was originally published in September of 2018. It was updated in October of 2019 to include process shots, step-by-step instructions and tips for making the best vegan squash soup every single time!