Convenience foods and meal delivery services are becoming more and more popular, but with all the options, it's hard to know what is best for you and your family. You've got to take into account cost, ingredients, delivery schedule, subscription, and cancelation fees - it's A LOT! Hopefully I can make your decision just a bit easier today while I tell you about my experience with Daily Harvest!
Full disclosure - I am a Daily Harvest affiliate. As always, all thoughts and opinions are my own.
Daily Harvest Basics
I first fell in love with Daily Harvest smoothies a couple years ago - the strawberry peach smoothie is my fave. They've quickly grown to include tons of menu items - seriously they have it all! From smoothies to flatbreads, to soups, to oat bowls and bites, they've literally got you covered for every meal of the day! Their menu is packed with variety and a commitment to fresh, whole ingredients (which you know I’m all about).
My favorite part about Daily Harvest? Everything gets delivered right to your front door, so no grocery store scavenger hunt to find everything you need! You select the meals you want, choose when you’d like them delivered, store everything in the freezer, and when you're hungry just grab whatever sounds best for an easy breakfast, lunch, dinner, dessert, or snack! If it sounds too good to be true, trust me, it's not!
Click here and follow this link, or use code MIDWEST to get $40 off your first Daily Harvest box!!
Daily Harvest Products
What products does Daily Harvest offer? They literally have something for breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks, and dessert! I have no doubt that you'll be able to find something that everyone in your family enjoys. Here's a list of all the products that you can get delivered right to your front door.
- Smoothies - Acai + Cherry, Chocolate + Blueberry, Mint + Cacao, Strawberry + Peach. They really get creative with their smoothies and throw things together that you wouldn’t have thought of on your own. And they add in a whole bunch of extras - like kale, lemon, and sweet potato - to make sure that even the smoothies with chocolate pack some serious nutrients. Just add your liquid of choice, toss it all in a blender and breakfast is done!
- Harvest Bowls - Don’t let the unique combinations scare you off. The Daily Harvest bowls are packed with vegetables, including a few you might not usually see in your local grocery store, but Daily Harvest breaks down what is included in each, and even gives a “tastes like” comparison so you know which flavor combos you’ll love. They're like gluten-free grain bowls.
- Harvest Bakes - The Harvest Bake differ from the Harvest Bowl in it's preparation - it's baked in the oven - but it's still full of nutrient-dense veggies. Butternut squash, spinach, wild rice, artichokes, chickpeas, and more are thrown together to create curries, ropa vieja, and gratin. The Chickpea + Coconut Curry is my favorite for a quick and easy lunch!
- Flatbreads - From crust to toppings, the Daily Harvest flatbreads are all veggies, all the time. With cauliflower or sweet potato crusts and toppings like pear, kale, and tomato, the flatbreads are a break from the usual frozen pizza.
- Soups - Daily Harvest has a variety of soup options that are vegetarian variations of classic soups like miso, chili, and minestrone. All of their organic veggies are mixed and paired with the perfect spices to make even the noodle-less minestrone taste like your own secret family recipe.
- Forager Bowls - The forager bowls are meant to replace and recreate the acai bowls, parfaits, fancy oatmeals, and rice bowls that have taken over menus. Using all the traditional and non-traditional ingredients at their disposal, Daily Harvest makes nutritious alternatives that will satisfy any craving you have!
- Oat Bowls - Daily Harvest understands the importance of making each meal filling and nutrient dense. No watery, sugary, oatmeal here. Their oat bowls are designed to pack a lot of fruits and veggies into a small package and they do this by mixing organic oats with things like dragon fruit, kabocha squash, banana, cinnamon, and apple.
- Chia Bowls - To add a twist to chia pudding, the Daily Harvest chia bowls are a burst of energy and fresh flavor with ingredients like fig, coconut, and blackberries. If you’re already a fan of chia, you’ll definitely want to dig into one of these.
- Scoops - The Daily Harvest scoops are here to satisfy your sweet tooth. Every flavor of their scoops ice cream is dairy-free, and stays faithful to old favorites while adding some unexpected flavors like chili-spice and avocado. The Vanilla + Sticky Sweet Salted Caramel is a family favorite at our house!
- Bites - The bites are the ultimate snack food (think fat bombs or protein balls) but with tons of nutritious, organic ingredients.
- Lattes - The Daily Harvest lattes are perfect for replacing your morning coffee, with energizing ingredients that offer antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Mylk - Nut milks in a cube format? Yes. Daily Harvest put in the work and made an almond milk free of fillers and additives (literally just almonds and sea salt!). In this pure-ingredient form, it can be packaged in a solid, triangular piece. It looks strange, but they can easily be added to smoothies or oat bowls, or made into roughly a half gallon of drinkable milk.
Why You Will Love It
- Delicious flavors! You might not expect frozen, pre-prepped meals to have tons of flavor, but I'm here to let you know they do! Yes, Daily Harvest does use fresh, whole ingredients but they don't skimp on flavor! These meals are not bland or boring - they are filled with all sorts of unique flavor combinations and plenty of spice. The delicious flavor of their products was probably the biggest surprise (and delight!) for me.
- It's 100% vegan! You know how much I love vegan and vegetarian recipes, so the fact that Daily Harvest is totally plant-based is a huge plus for me. I know that their meals and snacks are going to fill me up but not leave me feeling heavy or weighed down. If you're not into vegan meals, don't let this part scare you off! You honestly wouldn't know that most of these meals and snacks are vegan - I promise!
- Minimal prep! Daily Harvest meals require minimal to no prep work. Most meals come in packaging that can be placed in the oven or microwave, and all of them contain everything you need - spices and all. No chopping, slicing, or peeling! Simply blend, cook, or enjoy straight from the container!
- Door delivery! I’m all about finding ways to make life easier when it comes to preparing meals. The fact that they deliver right to your door is just one way Daily Harvest is problem solving and making sure their nutritious meals save you time and energy!
- Nutrition, nutrition, nutrition! Here at the Midwest Foodie, I try not to claim anything is “healthy” or “unhealthy”, but I do love real, whle ingredients. Not only do I think they taste better but, overall, whole ingredients fuel your body better. So Daily Harvest definitely ticks the nutrition box with their fruit and veggie-packed meals, smoothies, and ice cream. Your health is definitely at the forefront of everything Daily Harvest does.
Easy to Prepare Meals
Good food shouldn’t be hard to make. And with Daily Harvest, good food isn’t difficult to make! But between limited time, busy schedules, and hard-to-find ingredients, making nutritious meals can sometimes be a hassle. Daily Harvest recognizes the need for easy-to-prepare meals, and they’ve delivered. As I said before, everything you need is included in each pre-packaged meal - you barely dirty a dish - so the hardest part is deciding what you’re in the mood for!
What Makes Daily Harvest Different
- Daily Harvest is all about the pronounceable, organic ingredients. They boast no “gluten, dairy, gums, fillers, refined sugars, GMOs, or artificial ANYTHING.” They’re also passionate about adding new and different foods into everyone’s diet. Their flavor combos speak to this, and you can see that they like to experiment and enjoy introducing new foods to anyone who’s up for it.
- You can pick and choose exactly what you want in your box! With some food delivery companies, you get what they've got that week and that's it. With Daily Harvest, you can literally choose exactly what you want! Add a few old stand bys to your box or add as many "new to you" meals as you'd like! Customize your delivery to suit your family's taste!
Packaging and Waste
As much as Daily Harvest cares about you and your daily veggie/fruit intake, they also care about the planet and that translates into recyclable packaging. Their containers consist of either paper, plastic, or aluminum and it is all recyclable via either curbside pickup or local recycling plant drop-off. They even have a handy guide here!
All the meals come frozen and stay cold packaged inside a cardboard box lined with recyclable insulation with dry ice on the bottom. After you pop your goodies in the freezer, just let the dry ice dissolve for 24 hours or so in a well-ventilated area (I usually just put the whole box outside on our covered patio for a day), then recycle the box and insulated bag that it came in!
When you sign up you pick either a weekly or monthly delivery schedule, but you can pause or skip deliveries as often as you like. Otherwise, your deliveries are automated and ship to get to you on the day you choose as your preferred delivery day.
When you subscribe to Daily Harvest, not only do you pick how often you’d like food delivered, but you choose how many items are included in that delivery. Your options are 9, 14, or 24 items per week or per month. There is no subscription fee or delivery fee.
Daily Harvest has a simple policy when it comes to skipping, pausing, or canceling by a specific time. The cutoff for any of these actions is 6pm (EST) on Sunday. You can cancel whenever you want, just make sure it is before that time, otherwise, you will be charged for the coming week’s deliveries.
How much does Daily Harvest cost?
The cost of your weekly or monthly delivery depends on what you want to be included in your box. Each item is priced individually (from $5.99-$11.99) so there is a box combination to fit every budget! Here's a breakdown of individual item prices:
- Smoothies - $7.99 each
- Harvest Bowls - $8.99 each
- Harvest Bakes - $11.99 each
- Flatbreads - $8.99 each
- Soups - $7.99 each
- Forager Bowls - $5.99 each
- Oat Bowls - $5.99 each
- Chia Bowls - $5.99 each
- Scoops - $8.99 each
- Bites - $7.99 each
- Lattes - $5.99 for two
- Mylk - $7.99 for ~ ½ gallon
Depending on where you live, some of these prices might be similar to what you'd pay for a smoothie or bowl of soup if you go out to a cafe or restaurant, but the best part is that you get restaurant quality meals without ever having to leave your house! AND they are loaded with wholesome ingredients that will fill you up and fuel you through your day!
Is it right for you?
Daily Harvest might be right for you if:
- You love delicious, filling foods that are loaded with nutritious ingredients
- You're looking for an easy, convenient way to make sure you're getting your fruits and veggies throughout the day
- You don't love to cook
- You don't have time to prepare meals but enjoy delicious foods
- You're looking for simple ways to add more plant-based meals to your weekly rotation
Daily Harvest might not be right for you if:
- You like a lot of meat heavy meals (all their meals are vegan)
- You have lots of time and energy to prepare your food so convenience isn't a priority for you
I highly recommend Daily Harvest. I do think that they are worth the hype and I think their prices are fair and reasonable for the high-quality food that you are getting. I love the convenience of delivery every week and I appreciate that most of their meals and snacks can be prepped in just minutes. It’s hard to find low-cost meals and desserts that are also 100% organic, use recyclable packaging, and contain unique, hard-to-find ingredients. If all of those things make your heart sing, then Daily Harvest is the delivery service of your dreams.
Please feel free to comment below with any questions you may have regarding my Daily Harvest Review!
Daily Harvest Coupon Code
- Ready to try Daily Harvest for yourself? Click here and follow this link, then use code MIDWEST to get $40 off you first box!!