This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
8 ingredients + 30 minutes = a quick and easy one pot alfredo that your family will love! And ONLY ONE POT TO WASH! This rich, creamy, one pot dinner is restaurant-quality delicious but simple enough for a busy weeknight dinner!
Why you're going to love this one pot alfredo:
- It's quick and easy! As in you can have it on the dinner table in less than 30 minutes. There are no fancy kitchen gadgets required and barely any cooking skills necessary!
- The ingredient list is filled with REAL foods! Have you checked the ingredient list on a jar of Alfredo sauce? It's longer than my arm and filled with preservatives! Not this sauce. The starch from the pasta will combine with the Parmesan and half & half to make the creamiest, dreamiest sauce you've ever had!
- It's great for a special date night dinner! While this one pot Alfredo makes for a great family dinner - I like to make it when we have a couple hours just the two of us also. This is a foolproof dinner that even the most novice of home cooks can put together!
How to make one pot alfredo:
Add garlic and cook, stirring frequently for 1 minute.
Add pasta and vegetable stock.
Then add half and half.
Add chipotle, if using.
Stir to combine.
Turn the heat up and bring it a boil. Reduce heat to medium or medium low and simmer.
Simmer for 14-16 minutes, stirring occasionally so the pasta doesn't stick to the bottom of the pan.
Cook until pasta is al dente, then remove from heat and add Parmesan.
Toss noodles until Parmesan is melted.
Garnish with parsley, Parmesan, and tomato and enjoy!
Tips for making the best One Pot Fettuccine Alfredo:
- Shred your Parmesan and chop fresh garlic. Always. And especially in this recipe, where the ingredient list is short. You want the best and most flavorful ingredients and freshly shredded Parmesan and freshly chopped garlic are going to make this dish sing!
- Adjust (or omit) the chipotle based on your family's tastes. If your family isn't into spicy foods, feel free to omit the chipotle and the recipe will taste just as great. We like a little kick over at our house, so we love a hearty teaspoon or more of the chipotle in our pasta.
- The sauce should be smooth, creamy and dreamy. The best part of one pot pasta is that it makes the creamiest sauce ever. As your getting to the end of your cooking time, feel free to adjust the cooking liquid based on your saucy preferences. An extra splash of half and half will give you a thinner sauce, while a little more Parmesan will make it thicker.
- The sauce will thicken as it cools. Keep in mind that this sauce is going to get a bit thicker as it cools. If you're planning to reheat this dish, I recommend adding a splash of half and half or milk and heating it in a pot over medium heat until it's warmed through and the sauce has a creamy consistency again.
Frequently asked questions:
- Do I need to boil the noodles separately?
- Nope! This dinner cooks all in one pot, noodles and all! Which means you won't have to bring water to a boil, boil the noodles or strain the noodles.
- This means time saved for you AND less dirty dishes!
- Can I use another kind of pasta in place of the fettuccine?
If you liked this one pot pasta, check out these other family favorites:
- Sausage, Spinach & Sun Dried Tomato Rigatoni
- Mediterranean One Pot Pasta
- Smoked Gouda Mac and Cheese
- One Pot Mac and Cheese
- One Pot Lemon & Garlic Pasta
This post was originally published in June 2017. It was updated in February 2019 to include process shots and tips for making the best one pot alfredo.