This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Less than 5 minutes from start to finish - this simple, homemade, vegan hummus is loaded with fiber and protein. It's healthy AND delicious, which means you can feel good about feeding it to your family.
Why you're going to love this recipe:
- It has just 7 ingredients - and two of them are salt and water!! This hummus uses simple, wholesome, delicious ingredients that you can feel good about feeding to your family!
- It's basically the easiest appetizer ever. If you're heading to a party tonight and have NO idea what to bring - make hummus! Nearly everyone I know loves hummus and your vegan and vegetarian friends will thank you for bringing something delicious for them to eat! It's also a healthy snack that feels indulgent which makes it a win in my book.
- It takes just minutes to make and it's SO easy! Throw everything in the food processor and let it go. No chopping, no slicing, no dicing. Zero cooking skills are required for this recipe. If you can open a can and press a button, you can make hummus! Doesn't get much easier or quicker than that!
How to make this recipe:
Process until everything is well minced and combined.
Slowly add water until hummus becomes smooth and creamy.
Taste and season with more salt as needed.
Garnish with paprika and parsley. Serve with your favorite dippers - pita chips, celery, carrots; whatever you love!
Tips for making this dish:
- Add water slowly and add just enough to make it smooth and creamy. Too much water and it will become a bit of a soupy mess. Too little and it will be thick but not creamy. Find the sweet spot by adding about a tablespoon at a time until you find the consistency you like. Be sure to season to taste with salt after adding the water.
- Invest in a good food processor! A food processor is a must for this recipe (or a quality high speed blender). It's the only way that you'll achieve that creamy texture you're looking for. They're pretty affordable and worth every penny for this hummus recipe alone!
- Tahini is non-negotiable in this recipe. I've tried making hummus without tahini and it just isn't hummus! If you're not sure what else you'll use that big jar of tahini for - try my Asian Kale Salad or my Asian Noodle Salad!
Ways to customize your hummus:
- CUMIN: Add a couple teaspoons of cumin for a little Mexican flavor.
- CURRY POWDER: Throw in about a teaspoon of curry powder to add some Indian flare.
- BASIL PESTO: Add a tablespoon or so of pesto for an Italian take on this hummus.
- PARSLEY or CILANTRO: Add a handful of fresh herbs to give it some herby flavor.
If you liked this recipe, you'll love these other easy appetizers:
- Easy Burrata & Olive Oil Appetizer
- Olive Oil & Balsamic Vinegar Bread Dip
- Baked Spinach & Artichoke Dip
- Easy Mediterranean Dip
- Baked Goat Cheese Dip
- Baked Brie Appetizer
This recipe was originally published in June of 2018. It was updated in August of 2019 to include process shots and tips for making the best homemade hummus every single time.