Tender, shredded beef is wrapped inside a flour tortilla and smothered in a classic enchilada sauce and melty cheese, then topped with an avocado lime sour cream sauce. This hearty dish will quickly become a family favorite!
Slow Cooker Beef:
- 2 lbs. beef chuck roast
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 large red onion (diced)
- 5 cloves garlic (minced)
- 32 oz. beef broth
- 2 teaspoons diced chiles in adobo
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped cilantro
- 2 limes
- 10 fajita size soft flour tortillas (6 inch)
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can red enchilada sauce
- 2 cups shredded Chihuahua cheese (Mexican melting cheese)
Avocado Lime Sauce:
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 cup sour cream
- juice of 2 limes
- large pinch Kosher salt
- splash of water
- fresh chopped cilantro
- Heat olive oil in a large saute pan over medium high heat. In a small bowl combine chili powder, cumin, salt, garlic powder, black pepper and cayenne. Rub spice mixture all over the surface of the roast. Sear all sides of the roast, cooking each side for about 2-3 minutes or until the entire outside of the roast is seared nice and dark golden brown. Add roast to the slow cooker.
- Without wiping out the pan, turn heat down to the medium and add onion to the pan. Cook for about 4 minutes, stirring frequently. Then add garlic and cook for another minute or so. Transfer onion and garlic to the slow cooker. Then add beef broth, chiles in adobo and cilantro to the slow cooker. Cut limes in half widthwise and squeeze juice into the slow cooker, then add the rinds of the limes in as well. Cover and cook on high for 4 hours, or until beef is fall apart tender.
- While the roast is working it’s magic, add the sauce ingredients to a food processor. Pulse until everything combines into a smooth, creamy sauce. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Remove beef from crock pot and shred using two forks.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spread half the enchilada sauce in the bottom of a 9×13 baking dish.
- Assemble enchiladas by dividing the beef evenly between each tortilla. Roll tortillas tightly around the filling and place seam side down into the baking dish. You should be able to make 2 rows of 5 enchiladas in the baking dish.
- Pour remaining sauce over the top of the enchiladas and use a spatula to make sure the tortillas are completely covered. Sprinkle cheese on top of the enchiladas and bake for 30 minutes.
- Garnish with fresh parsley and a drizzle of avocado lime sour cream and enjoy!
Keywords: easy, simple, recipe, family, dinner, weeknight, meal, Mexican, tacos, flour tortillas, chuck roast