Brunch tostadas are the best you guys. Don’t get me wrong. I know, I’m always like, oh this is the best recipe ever and you just have to try it. But seriously, it is the best freakin’ recipe ever!!!!!!! I am obsessed with Mexican flavors in case you haven’t noticed by now. (Click on every word in the previous sentence to find my favorite Mexican inspired dishes!)
I am always trying to come up with different ways to use my favorite ingredients in new recipes. And this one is a blue ribbon winner dear friends! Also, it could NOT be any easier. Warm the tostadas in the oven while you saute onion and garlic with your beans and some spices. Fry a couple eggs, garnish with cotija cheese and pico de gallo and you’re brunching like a rockstar!
A couple years ago one of my friends started a “ladies brunch” tradition. Every couple months or so we all get together to drink mimosas and gab about the latest happenings in our ever exciting lives. Everyone brings something and we usually end up with so much food that we spend hours just grazing and sometimes even split the meal into courses. I’m always on the look out for new brunch recipes to try and I can guarantee these tostadas will be making an appearance at an upcoming brunch.
You could actually probably swing it on a weekday morning too because it’s so easy. However, it might be best enjoyed on a sunny, slow Saturday morning. Don’t forget to check out my super easy Pico de Gallo recipe and garnish garnish garnish this baby.
Now it’s time to brunch bishes.
Other breakfast favorites you’ll love:
- Mexican Breakfast Bowls
- Mexican Breakfast Casserole
- Pizza Dough Cinnamon Rolls
- No Bake Chewy Granola Bars
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE? LEAVE A REVIEW!
If you made this recipe I’d love to hear how it turned out! Feel free to leave a rating and comment below. I love hearing from you guys and respond to each and every comment that I receive! Don’t forget to follow me on Instagram, Facebook and Pinterest for the all latest recipes and a sneak peek at the behind the scenes adventures on Midwest Foodie!Print
Layer tostadas with beans, fry a couple eggs and garnish with cotija cheese and pico de gallo and you’re brunching like a rockstar!
- 6 tostada shells
- 8 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 small red onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (15 oz.) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 oz.) can red beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon diced chiles in adobo
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 cup crumbled cotija cheese
- 1/2 cup my easy pico de gallo
- kosher salt
- fresh cracked pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spread tostada shells out on a baking sheet in a single layer. Bake them for about 2-3 minutes just to warm them through.
- While the oven is preheating, heat 2 teaspoons olive oil in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add onion and cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring frequently. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute, stirring frequently. Add black beans, red beans, cumin, chili powder, chiles in adobo and a large pinch of salt and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Turn heat to low and use a potato masher to mash beans. Mash until about half are mashed and half are still whole. Turn heat off, but leave pan on the burner to stay warm while you prepare the other components of the dish.
- Fry eggs in batches by heating olive oil a large saute pan over medium heat. Use 1 teaspoon of oil for each egg. Crack them into the oil, season with salt and pepper and cook for 1 minute, uncovered. Turn heat to low and cover pan with a tight fitting lid. Cook for another 3-4 minutes or until the whites are set and the yolks are still runny. Cook remaining eggs in the same fashion.
- To assemble tostadads, divide bean mixture between shells, spreading it in an even layer. Then add fried egg, a heaping tablespoon of cotija, a heaping tablespoon of my pico de gallo and a sprinkle of fresh cilantro. Serve immediately!
Keywords: brunch, breakfast, tacos, Mexican, simple, easy, recipe, family dinner, healthy, whole food