This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
15 minutes from start to finish is all it takes to get these gorgeous breakfast tostadas on the table! Minimal prep work AND minimal cook time means you can easily enjoy this hearty weekend-worthy brunch dish any day of the week!
Why you're going to love these black bean tostadas:
- They're EASY PEASY to throw together. The only prep work you'll have to do is dice the onion and mince the garlic! We're talking just 15 minutes from the time you start making this recipe until it's on your dinner table!
- The flavors are AMAZING. Smoky chiles in adobo, classic cumin, sauteed onion and garlic along with hearty black beans combine to make the most delicious base for these tostadas. Top that with a runny fried egg, fresh cilantro, salty crumbled cotija and a bit of Pico de Gallo and you're good to go!
- They're unexpected. Chances are good your friends might have tried a dish like this when they went out for brunch, but most don't think they can tackle it at home. News flash: THEY CAN and so can you! Surprise your ladies next weekend with this quick and easy brunch dish that will knock their socks off!
How to make breakfast tostadas:
Bake tostada shells for about 3-4 minutes just to warm them through. You can get the oven going and toast these while you're prepping the beans and eggs for the tostadas.
Cook for 1 minute, stirring frequently.
Add beans and stir to combine. Cook for another minute or so.
Turn heat to low and use a potato masher to mash beans. Mash until about half are mashed and half are still whole. Turn heat off, but leave pan on the burner to stay warm while you prepare the other components of the dish.
Fry eggs in batches depending on the size of your pan, then assemble tostadas by dividing the bean mixture between shells, spreading it in an even layer.
Add fried egg.
Add a heaping tablespoon of my pico de gallo.
Add a sprinkle of cotija and fresh cilantro. Serve immediately and enjoy!
Tips for making the best vegetarian tostadas:
- Don't skip the step of heating the tostada shells in the oven for a few minutes before you top them. This is going to make them less brittle and less likely to crack while you are eating them. It seems like their flavor improves after a quick little toast in the oven too!
- If Pico de Gallo and cotija cheese aren't your cup of tea, feel free to customize these tostadas and make them using your family's favorite toppings. Sometimes I'll add shredded cheddar, sour cream, avocado or even crumbled bacon! Also, you can just scramble your eggs if you're not feeling the runny yolk. They'll be just as delicious!
Bump up the flavor!
Top your tostadas with any of these delicious add-ons!
Other breakfast favorites you'll love:
- Mexican Breakfast Bowls
- Mexican Breakfast Casserole
- Pizza Dough Cinnamon Rolls
- No Bake Chewy Granola Bars
- 5 Minute Vegan Rawnola
- Maple Pecan Granola
This post was originally published in June of 2018. It was updated in July of 2019 to include process shots, step-by-step instructions and tips for making the best breakfast tostadas every single time!