Chicken Pot Pie Casserole
This hearty chicken pot pie casserole gives you all the classic comfort food flavors you're looking for in less than an hour and it's made in just one pan! Refrigerated biscuits take the place of a traditional crust making this meal super simple to throw together even on a busy weeknight!
- Author: Kylie
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Stove Top + Oven
- Cuisine: American
- Heat butter and olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Add onion, celery, and carrot, along with a couple pinches of salt and pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, for about 8-10 minutes.
- Add garlic, thyme, oregano, sage, and a couple pinches of salt and pepper, and cook, stirring frequently for 1-2 minutes.
- Then stir in flour and cook for another minute.
- Whisk in chicken broth and heavy cream until smooth and creamy.
- Stir in frozen peas and shredded chicken and cook for just a minute or so until it thickens slightly. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add biscuits on top of the pot pie filling and brush the biscuits with the beaten egg.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Loosely cover with a sheet of tin foil and bake for another 15 minutes or until biscuits are cooked through and casserole is bubbly.
- Garnish with fresh chopped parsley and enjoy!
- Make sure the biscuits are sitting on top, not pressed into the casserole, so they cook evenly and are able to rise. The biscuits will get nice and golden brown on top, but keep in mind that the part that's touching the casserole will remain a bit softer, almost like the texture of a dumpling. This is exactly how it's supposed to be! If you prefer a crisp biscuit all the way around, just bake the biscuits separately on a baking sheet, then add them to the casserole.
- If you're serving this at a dinner party or for something a little fancy, feel free to transfer the pot pie filling to individual ramekins and then add a biscuit to each serving and bake.
- If you'd prefer the biscuits to be in bite-sized pieces across the casserole, as opposed to large biscuits, just use clean kitchen shears to cut the biscuits into 1-inch cubes and distribute them in an even layer across the chicken pot pie filling before baking.
- If you don't have a large sauté pan like mine that can go from the stovetop to the oven, feel free to transfer the chicken mixture to a 9x13 baking dish and then add the biscuits and bake! You could also use any oven safe dish of similar size to a 9x13 inch casserole dish.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 390
- Sugar: 6.6 g
- Sodium: 768.5 mg
- Fat: 22.2 g
- Saturated Fat: 9.9 g
- Carbohydrates: 32.4 g
- Fiber: 4.1 g
- Protein: 16.2 g
- Cholesterol: 82.4 mg
Keywords: easy chicken pot pie casserole, chicken pot pie casserole recipe, chicken pot pie with biscuits