This quick vegetarian dinner takes just 10 minutes to cook on your stove top and only a few minutes to prep. That means you can walk in the door and be sitting at the table eating dinner within 15 minutes!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (15 oz.) can chickpeas, drained
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Kosher salt
- fresh cracked pepper
- pita bread
- creamy yogurt sauce
- sliced cucumber
- sliced tomato
- red onion
- fresh dill
- crumbled feta
- Dry chickpeas thoroughly on a clean kitchen towel.
- Heat oil in a large pan over medium high heat.
- Add chickpeas to the pan and season with salt and pepper.
- Cook, stirring frequently for 8 minutes.
- Add cumin, oregano, paprika, garlic powder and another pinch of salt and pepper.
- Toss to coat the chickpeas evenly.
- Then cook for another minute or two until the chickpeas are crispy but not burned.
- Serve with fresh pita bread, homemade yogurt sauce, cucumber, tomato, red onion, fresh dill and crumbled feta.
Make sure to dry the chickpeas thoroughly before sauteing them. Eliminating as much moisture as possible will ensure that they get perfectly crispy and crunchy.
After you add the spices to the pan, be sure to watch the chickpeas closely so they don’t burn. These spicy little beans can go from crispy to burnt real quick, so stir them frequently after you’ve coated them in the spices.
Creamy yogurt sauce really makes this dish shine. The cool, creamy sauce really balances out the crisp, spiced garbanzo beans. You can buy tzatziki at the store if you’re in a pinch but my homemade creamy yogurt sauce is suuuuuuper easy and tastes fresh than fresh!
Keywords: garbanzo bean gyros, roasted chickpea gyros, chickpea recipes, chickpea pita