This creamy chickpea noodle soup is the best vegan comfort food you’ll find on the internet! It’s filled with pantry ingredients and loaded with warm, cozy, flavors that will have your family cleaning their bowls and asking for seconds!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1.5 cups sliced carrots
- 1.5 cups sliced celery
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 32 oz. vegetable broth
- 1 (13.5 oz.) can full fat coconut milk
- 8 oz. uncooked rotini pasta
- 1 (15 oz.) can garbanzo beans (chickpeas)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- Kosher salt
- fresh cracked pepper
- fresh chopped parsley for garnish
- Heat oil in a large heavy bottom pot over medium high heat.
- Add carrot, celery, and onion along with a couple large pinches of salt and pepper.
- Cook for 8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add garlic, curry powder, ginger and turmeric. Cook for another minute, stirring frequently.
- Add a splash of veggie broth to deglaze the pan and scrape all the yummy bits off the bottom.
- Add coconut milk, rotini pasta, and chickpeas.
- Add remaining vegetable broth and bay leaves along with another couple large pinches of salt and pepper.
- With heat on medium high, bring soup to a simmer.
- Cover and turn heat to low.
- Simmer for 6-10 minutes or until pasta is just al dente.
- Stir in apple cider vinegar and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Garnish with fresh chopped parsley and enjoy!
You can use whatever noodles you have on hand in place of the rotini. Short cuts of pasta work best in this soup. Noodles like: elbow macaroni, rigatoni, fusilli, penne, cavatappi, or farfalle.
If you’re using other noodles be sure to check the cooking time. I’d recommend simmering the soup for about 1 minute less than the lowest recommended cook time. Then start (carefully) tasting the noodles and remove the soup from the heat as soon as the pasta is al dente.
If you don’t have coconut milk on hand you can substitute heavy cream, almond/oat milk or even just omit the creamy element entirely and enjoy a broth-based soup.
This chickpea noodle soup will thicken as it cools. You can add more broth or additional coconut milk to loosen it up. Be sure to season to taste with salt again after adding more liquid.
To reheat this soup, just place it in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add broth or coconut milk to loosen it up and season to taste with salt. Heat until everything is warmed through and enjoy!
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: vegan chicken noodle soup, easy noodle soup, veggie noodle soup