With only 5 ingredients and no baking required, these peanut butter balls might be the easiest, healthy dessert you’ve ever made!
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup old fashioned rolled oats
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 1/3 cups dark chocolate chips (or milk chocolate, if you prefer)
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- coarse sea salt (optional)
- Stir together peanut butter, oats and honey in a medium bowl until well combined
- Use a small cookie scoop (or regular spoon) to make about 32 equal size balls. Place them on a parchment lined baking sheet and put them in the fridge for 20 minutes.
- Use your hands to roll the scoops of peanut butter into round balls and place them back on the parchment lined baking sheet. Pop them in the freezer while you melt the chocolate.
- Melt chocolate in a double boiler or in the microwave in 15-20 second increments until smooth and creamy.
- Remove peanut butter balls from the freezer and roll them in the bowl of chocolate (one or two at a time) until they are well coated. Use a fork to remove the balls from the chocolate and place them back on the parchment lined baking sheet.
- Sprinkle with sea salt if desired and refrigerate for 1 hour before eating.
Natural peanut butter doesn’t work as well for this recipe. It’s a bit too lose and won’t hold together quite as well.
Invest in a cookie scoop. It will make your life (and this recipe) infinitely easier.
Add coconut oil to the chocolate before you melt it. This will help the chocolate melt evenly and make the texture a bit softer when the balls are refrigerated.
Keywords: peanut butter balls, chocolate covered peanut butter balls, salted chocolate balls, energy balls, energy bites