This Creamy Pesto Pasta is the perfect combination of indulgent comfort food and fresh, light summer flavors! Ripe, juicy tomatoes combine with white wine and garlic for a quick sauce base, then add heavy cream and fresh basil pesto for an easy vegetarian weeknight dinner!
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup basil pesto
- Kosher salt
- fresh cracked pepper
- 16 oz. linguine, cooked al dente
- grated Parmesan and fresh basil for garnish
- Heat oil in a large pan over medium-low heat. Add garlic and dried thyme.
- Cook, stirring frequently for 30 seconds.
- Add tomatoes and white wine and cook over medium-low heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and add heavy cream and pesto.
- Add linguine and toss to coat evenly. Return to heat and cook for just a minute or two, until the noodles are heated through.
- Serve with grated Parmesan and fresh basil and enjoy!
Moderately salt pasta water and cook just until al dente. I recommend adding 2-4 tablespoons of Kosher salt to the water just after it comes to a boil and before adding the pasta. This is your first chance to season the pasta and will really make such a huge difference in the overall flavor of this dish.
To make this dish vegan, just substitute coconut milk in place of the heavy cream and use vegan pesto. My favorite vegan pesto brand is Amore. OR you can make my super easy basil pesto recipe, but omit the Parmesan, adding a couple tablespoons of nutritional yeast instead. In my opinion, nothing compares to fresh pesto but it’s not always a reality on a busy weeknight, so store-bought will work just fine too!
The creamy sauce will thicken as it cools. But a quick splash of pasta water, heavy cream, or milk will loosen it up again in no time!
Reheat pasta in a pan over medium heat. Add a splash of liquid to loosen up the sauce and cook, stirring frequently for about 4-5 minutes or until heated through. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: creamy pesto pasta recipe, basil pesto pasta, vegetarian pasta