These fried tortilla strips take just 10 minutes to make from start to finish and are the perfect crunchy accompaniment to your favorite soups and salads! They only require 3 ingredients – corn tortillas, vegetable oil, and salt – and are tastier than any store-bought version!
- 10 corn tortillas
- 2 cups vegetable oil
- Kosher salt
- Add oil to a 9 inch cast iron skillet (or similar sized pan) over medium heat.
- Slice tortillas in half and then into 1/2″ strips.
- Cook the tortilla strips in 3-4 batches. Once the oil is hot, add a couple handfuls of the tortilla strips to the pan.
- Fry them for about 3-5 minutes, stirring every minute or so until they are golden brown and crisp.
- Use a slotted metal spoon to remove tortilla strips from the pan and transfer to a paper towel-lined plate. Immediately sprinkle with a moderate amount of Kosher salt.
- Continue with the remaining 2-3 batches of tortilla strips, frying them in the oil and transferring to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Serve with your family’s favorite meals and enjoy!
cast iron skillet of oil. If it sputters and sizzles immediately, the oil is ready. You will also notice that when you add the tortilla strips, the oil sizzles a lot – this is a good sign!, carefully add a small drop of water to the
A slotted metal spoon works best for removing tortilla strips from the pan. This is my favorite – it’s got a nice long handle so you can keep your hand far away from the hot oil.
As you continue cooking the batches of tortilla strips, add more layers of paper towel to the plate. You can just layer the cooked tortilla strips and paper towels on top of each other while you’re cooking. This will ensure that each batch of tortilla strips has a fresh layer of paper towel to soak up any excess grease.
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: Mexican/American
Keywords: tortilla soup chips, tortilla strips for salad, fried tortilla chips