45 minutes from start to finish (30 minutes of which is marinating!) and your healthy lunches are prepped for the entire week!
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken sliced into tenders
- 1/4 cup + 1–2 tablespoons olive oil
- zest + juice from 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Kosher salt
- fresh cracked pepper
- 6 inch wooden skewers
- creamy yogurt sauce
- sauteed broccoli
- fresh chopped dill or parsley
- lemon wedges
- In a medium bowl combine 1/4 cup olive oil, lemon zest and juice, oregano, garlic and a large pinch of salt and pepper.
- Add chicken tenders to the bowl and nestle them into the marinade so they are almost completely covered. Cover and marinate for 30 minutes.
- Heat 1-2 tablespoons olive oil in a large saute pan over medium high heat.
- Thread marinated chicken onto the wooden skewers.
- Saute chicken in 2-3 batches depending on the size of your pan.
- Saute each side for 3-5 minutes or under a dark golden brown crust has formed and the chicken is cooked through.
- Serve with yogurt sauce, quinoa, broccoli, fresh dill or parsley and lemon wedges.
Don’t marinate the chicken for longer than 30 minutes. The lemon juice in the marinade will actually begin to cook the chicken if you marinate it for too long which will lead to an undesirable texture. 30 minutes is the sweet spot for the marinade to penetrate the chicken, but not actually start cooking it.
Don’t stress if you don’t have 6 inch wooden skewers! You can use shorter ones, longer ones or no skewers at all. The chicken will still taste great even without the skewer – I just love the skewers for the presentation and ease of eating.
Use your oven to hold the warm chicken while you cook the second batch. Heat your oven to 300 degrees and line a baking sheet with tin foil or parchment paper. One you’ve finished cooking your first batch of chicken, transfer it to the baking sheet and pop it in the oven while you finish cooking the second batch. The low oven temp will keep the chicken warm without drying it out.
Keywords: Mediterranean kebabs, chicken kebabs, chicken skewers, Mediterranean skewers