This rustic tomato tart takes just 10 minutes to prep and is the perfect appetizer or summer dinner to showcase all those ripe, juicy tomatoes you've picked from the garden!
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Unfold puff pastry dough on a lightly floured surface. Gently pinch the seams together and then roll the dough just a bit thinner, into a rectangle.
- Score a crust around the edge of the puff pastry about an inch wide.
- Brush the crust with egg wash and use a fork to poke holes all over the inside portion of the puff pastry.
- Spread pesto evenly across the puff pastry, keeping it inside the crust.
- Top with sliced tomatoes, overlapping them slightly.
- Crumble goat cheese on top of the tomatoes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Bake tomato tart for 20-25 minutes or until the puff pastry crust is dark golden brown on the bottom and cooked through.
- Drizzle with olive oil and garnish with fresh arugula and enjoy!
The best way to thaw puff pastry is in the fridge overnight. This will allow the puff pastry to slowly thaw and become pliable while still staying cool. If you forget to thaw it the night before, you can set the puff pastry sheet out on your counter and let it thaw for 20-40 minutes or until it becomes pliable.
DON'T let the puff pastry thaw for too long though or get warm while you're assembling the tart. The puff pastry needs to be cold when it's baked in order to get that signature puff and flakiness.
If you're not feeling goat cheese, try something else! This tart is very forgiving, which means you can switch up the cheese as you see fit. Goat cheese is my jam - so tangy and creamy. But any of these cheeses would work well: Brie, shredded mozzarella, Fontina, Gruyere, or Parmesan.
There is ONE addendum to my above freedom of cheese speech: fresh mozzarella is not ideal for this tart - it has too much moisture and will make a soupy mess and prevent the crust from getting super crispy. Steer clear of fresh mozz for this recipe!
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: tomato tart puff pastry, tomato tart recipe, savory tart, goat cheese appetizer