Healthy food can also be hearty and satisfying! Don’t believe me? TRY THIS VEGAN BLACK BEAN CHILI! It’s loaded with over 50% of your daily fiber in each serving and filled with fresh Mexican flavors. This chili will fill you up and fuel you through your busy day!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red onion, diced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons diced chipotles in adobo
- (3) 15 oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup uncooked split red lentils
- (2) 15 oz. cans tomato sauce
- 2–3 cups vegetable broth
- juice of 1 lime
- Kosher salt
- fresh cracked pepper
- vegan sour cream
- fresh chopped cilantro
- sliced jalapeno
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion along with a large pinch of salt and pepper. Cook 4-5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add garlic, chili powder, cumin, and sugar and cook for another minute, stirring frequently.
- Stir in tomatoes, chipotles in adobo, black beans, lentils, and a large pinch of salt and pepper.
- Then add tomato sauce and 2 cups vegetable broth.
- Cover, turn heat to medium-high and bring to a simmer.
- Reduce heat and simmer over medium-low for 5-7 minutes or until lentils are tender, stirring frequently. Add remaining cup of broth if desired.
- Stir in the juice of 1 lime and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Garnish with Fritos, sour cream, and fresh chopped cilantro.
Don’t let the chili simmer for too long. Just 5-7 minutes is long enough to get the lentils nice and tender. Any longer than that though, and they will likely end up mushy.
Be sure to stir the chili every minute or so while it’s simmering. This will loosen any black beans or lentils that may try to stick to the bottom of the pan and make sure that the lentils cook evenly.
You don’t have to tell people it’s vegan! If you know your friends or family don’t enjoy vegan dishes as much as you do, don’t tell them this chili is totally vegan. Let them try it, go back for seconds and rave about how good it is. Then drop the truth bomb – it’s vegan AND healthy!!
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: vegan chili, black bean chili, black bean soup, southwest chili, vegetarian chili, lentil chili