Loaded with over 50% of your daily fiber in each serving and filled with fresh Mexican flavors, this chili will fuel you through your busy day!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red onion, diced
- 2 medium poblano peppers, diced
- 1 jalapeno, minced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons diced chiles in adobo
- (3) 15 oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 3/4 cup uncooked green lentils
- (2) 14.5 oz. cans tomato sauce
- 16 oz. vegetable broth
- juice of 1 lime
- Kosher salt
- fresh cracked pepper
- vegan sour cream
- fresh chopped cilantro
- sliced jalapeno
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion and pepper along with a large pinch of salt and pepper. Cook 4-5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add jalapeno, garlic, chili powder, cumin and sugar and cook for another minute, stirring frequently.
- Stir in tomatoes, chiles in adobo, black beans, lentils and a large pinch of salt and pepper.
- Then add tomato sauce and vegetable broth.
- Cover, turn heat to medium high and bring to a simmer.
- Reduce heat and simmer over medium low for 45 minutes or until lentils are tender. Be sure to stir every 5-10 minutes.
- Stir in the juice of 1 lime and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Garnish with Fritos, sour cream and fresh chopped cilantro.
Adjust the cook time according to how tender you like your lentils. In this chili I like the lentils to be tender (not mushy, but reeeeeaaaal tender) so they give the chili a little thicker texture.
Be sure to stir your chili every 5-10 minutes while it’s simmering. This will loosen any black beans or lentils that may try to stick to the bottom of the pan.
You don’t have to tell people it’s vegan! If you know your friends or family don’t enjoy vegan dishes as much as you do, don’t tell them this chili is totally vegan. Let them try it, go back for seconds and rave about how good it is. Then drop the truth bomb – it’s vegan AND healthy!!
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: American/Mexican
Keywords: vegan chili, black bean chili, black bean soup, southwest chili, vegetarian chili, lentil chili