This Vegan Chickpea Gnocchi Soup is the ultimate vegan comfort food! It’s loaded with tons of veggies, and pillow soft gnocchi in a creamy, flavorful broth. It takes just 30 minutes from start to finish with simple ingredients you’ve likely got in the kitchen already!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 cup sliced carrot
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 6 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 32 oz. vegetable broth
- 1 (13.5 oz.) can full-fat coconut milk
- 1 (15 oz.) can chickpeas, drained
- 16 oz. frozen vegan potato gnocchi
- 1 cup shredded vegan Parmesan, optional
- 2 cups fresh chopped kale or spinach
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- Kosher salt
- fresh cracked pepper
- fresh chopped parsley
- vegan Parmesan
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add onion, carrot, celery, and a couple pinches of salt and pepper.
- Cook, stirring occasionally for 8 minutes.
- Add garlic, thyme, oregano, and sage and cook for another minute, stirring frequently.
- Add chickpeas and gnocchi.
- Add veggie broth and coconut milk, along with a couple pinches of salt and pepper.
- Stir to combine and bring to a simmer over medium high heat.
- Once simmering, reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 6-10 minutes or until gnocchi is cooked through and tender.
- Remove from heat and stir in shredded vegan Parmesan until melted.
- Stir in kale and apple cider vinegar. Then season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Garnish with fresh chopped parsley and vegan Parmesan.
You may need to adjust the simmer time based on the type of gnocchi that you use. I used frozen potato gnocchi and they were cooked through after around 8 minutes of simmering. Start checking the gnocchi (by carefully tasting one after blowing on it) around the 6-7 minute mark and then decide if you think it needs more simmer time or is cooked through.
You’ll know the gnocchi is cooked perfectly when it is soft and tender. The texture on the outside will be smooth and the texture on the inside will be light and similar to that of a dumpling. Gnocchi are basically like little potato pillows when they are cooked through.
Mini gnocchi work great in this soup also – and they’re adorable. I’m a real sucker for anything mini especially if it’s food! The mini gnocchi will likely need just a bit less time simmering as well. Depending on the listed cook time on the package, I’d start checking the mini gnocchi around 3-5 minutes to test and see if they’re done.
You can use any kind of bean in place of the chickpeas in this recipe. I am OBSESSED with garbanzo beans and just can’t get enough of them. Whether it’s Sheet Pan Chickpea Fajitas, Simple Chickpea Gyros, or Creamy Chickpea Noodle Soup – I’m a chickpea girl through and through. However, white beans (also called Great Northern beans), cannellini beans, would also be great!
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: Italian/American
Keywords: olive garden gnocchi soup, copycat olive garden soup, potato gnocchi soup