These slow cooker chicken tacos are healthy, tasty and almost too easy to make! Toss everything in the crock pot, come back a few hours later, shred the chicken and you’re ready to sit down for dinner.
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 15 oz. your favorite salsa (try a roasted tomato salsa!)
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1/2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon chiles in adobo
- Kosher salt
- fresh cracked pepper
- Add salsa, cumin, chili powder, chiles in adobo and a pinch of salt and pepper to the slow cooker insert. Stir to combine. Then nestle chicken breast into the salsa mixture.
- Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours.
- Shred chicken and serve on flour tortillas with chipotle slaw, Pico de Gallo and fresh chopped cilantro.
Use an authentic, high quality salsa for the best flavor. In our house we love Herdez Roasted Tomato Salsa. It’s loaded with tasty roasted tomato flavor and the ingredient list is short and easy to read which makes me happy!
If you’re cooking with frozen chicken, follow the recipe directions below but add a 1/3 cup of water to the crock pot as well. Then plan to cook the chicken for 5-6 hours instead of just 4 hours.
If you double or triple this recipe, plan to increase the cook time by an hour or two at least. The more ingredients you’ve got in the crock pot, the longer the chicken will take to cook! You’ll know it’s done when it’s completely cooked through and shreds easily.
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: chicken tacos, slow cooker tacos, salsa chicken tacos, Mexican shredded chicken recipe, authentic Mexican chicken recipes