This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
With just 5 minutes of prep time, these slow cooker chicken tacos are healthy, tasty and almost too easy to make! Toss everything in the crock pot, come back a few hours later, shred the chicken and you're ready to sit down for dinner!
How to make shredded chicken tacos:
Step 1. Put everything in the crock pot and stir to combine.
Step 2. Go do something fun for a few hours.
Step 3. Shred chicken.
Step 4. Sit down and eat dinner.
That's literally it! Keep it simple and top your tacos with your sour cream, diced onion and cilantro!
Why these chicken tacos rock:
- They're REALLY easy to throw together! 5 minutes (or less) of prep + 4 hours in the crock pot = one happy momma.
- The ingredient list is SO short! These 5 ingredients are things that I almost always have on hand anyway, so this is one of our family's staples. If you don't always have these on hand, YOU SHOULD so you can throw this dinner together any time!
- The crock pot does all the work for you! The chicken breast is going cook low and slow in your crock pot for 4-5 hours which will give it just the right amount of time to infuse with the flavors of the salsa and spices. But it will stay moist and juicy at the same time!
Can I increase this recipe to feed a group?
Yes! And you should! I would recommend doubling or even tripling the recipe if you're looking to feed a group.
I like to make a big batch of these when we have friends coming over for dinner or when we do family game night. You will need to plan on increasing the cooking time as you increase the volume as well, so that's something to take into account.
Serve these chicken tacos with:
This shredded chicken would also taste great in:
Can I make chicken tacos ahead of time?
Yes! These tacos taste great when reheated so they're perfect for meal prep. We currently do not have a microwave (it broke a few months back and we just haven't bought a new one - at first I was just too busy/lazy to buy another one and now it's like an experiment to see how long we can go without one!) so I can tell you from experience, that these reheat very well in pan on the stove over medium low heat. You may need to add a bit more salsa or a splash of water when reheating.
Tips for making the best shredded chicken tacos:
- Use an authentic, high quality salsa for the best flavor. In our house we love Herdez Roasted Tomato Salsa. It's loaded with tasty roasted tomato flavor and the ingredient list is short and easy to read which makes me happy!
- If you're cooking with frozen chicken, follow the recipe directions below but add a ⅓ cup of water to the crock pot as well. Then plan to cook the chicken for 5-6 hours instead of just 4 hours.
- If you double or triple this recipe, plan to increase the cook time by an hour or two at least. The more ingredients you've got in the crock pot, the longer the chicken will take to cook! You'll know it's done when it's completely cooked through and shreds easily.
Other Mexican favorites your family will love:
- Beer Braised Pork Carnitas
- Baked Fish Tacos with Chipotle Lime Sauce
- Ground Beef Flautas with Avocado Cream Sauce
- Thai Fish Tacos with Curry Coleslaw
- Slow Cooker Barbacoa Beef
This post was originally published in November of 2018. It was updated in May of 2019 to include process shots and tips for making the best shredded chicken tacos every single time!