This Homemade Apple Crisp is made with a tasty base of sliced Honeycrisp apples combined with brown sugar and spices that are topped with the most delicious crumbly crisp ever – flour, rolled oats, brown sugar, cinnamon and butter – then baked to perfection! Top with vanilla ice cream and dig right in!
For the apple filling:
- 4 cups sliced unpeeled Honeycrisp apples (1/4″ thick slices)
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- a few pinches Kosher salt
For the crisp topping:
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup old fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 6 tablespoons cold butter, cubed
- large pinch of Kosher salt
- Heat oven to 375 degrees and lightly grease 9″ cast iron skillet.
- Add apples, lemon juice, sugar, flour, cinnamon, vanilla, and salt to a large bowl.
- Toss gently with your hands to coat the apples evenly in the mixture.
- Dump apples into the greased baking dish.
- Add flour, oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, cubed butter, and salt to a medium bowl.
- Use your hands, a fork, or a pastry cutter to combine ingredients and gently break butter up into pea-size pieces as you mix everything together.
- Spread topping in an even layer across the apples.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the apples are fork-tender and the crisp is a dark golden brown. Serve with vanilla ice cream and enjoy!
For this apple crisp, you are looking for the apples to be fork tender, but NOT mushy. The best way to test the apple texture is to stick your fork into the crisp and pull a slice of apple out. LET IT COOL for a minute – it will be SUPER hot – and then give it a try.
You want the crumble on top to be a golden brown but not burned. The butter will melt into the topping and create a pretty solid layer of crisp when it’s done.
Everyone’s oven bakes differently so just keep an eye on your apple crisp and use your best judgment! Also, an oven thermometer is a great way to check and see if the temperature you are setting your oven for is the actual temperature of the inside of your oven. You might be surprised how off your oven temp really is!
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: apple dessert, easy homemade apple crisp, award winning apple crisp recipe, old fashioned apple crisp