- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 cup sliced carrot
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 6 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons ginger paste
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 (15 oz.) cans chickpeas, drained
- 1.5 pounds baby red potatoes, roughly chopped
- 1 cup split red lentils
- 1 (13.5 oz.) coconut milk
- 32 oz. vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup water (or more stock)
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 cups chopped kale
- 1 tablespoons lime juice
- Kosher salt
- fresh cracked pepper
- fresh chopped cilantro/parsley for garnish
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium high heat.
- Add onion, carrot, and celery along with a couple pinches of salt and pepper.
- Cook, stirring occasionally for 8 minutes.
- Stir in garlic, ginger paste, curry powder, cumin, turmeric, and a couple pinches of salt and pepper.
- Reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring frequently, for about a minute.
- Add flour and stir to evenly coat everything. Cook, stirring frequently for 1 minute.
- Stir in a splash of veggie broth to deglaze the pan, scraping the yummy bits off the bottom.
- Add chickpeas, potatoes, lentils, coconut milk, vegetable stock and water.
- Stir to combine add bay leaves, along with a couple pinches of salt and pepper.
- Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally so that the lentils don't stick to the pan.
- Turn heat to low or medium low and simmer gently for 15-18 minutes or until the potatoes are fork-tender. Add lime juice and stir in kale until wilted. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro or parsley and enjoy!
You can use whatever veggies you'd like in place of the potatoes and kale. I like to switch it up with broccoli and petite diced parsnips as well!
If you don't have coconut milk on hand, try half and half in it's place. Keep in mind this will make the stew vegetarian instead of vegan.
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: Indian
Keywords: chickpea stew recipe, spiced chickpea stew, spiced chickpea stew with coconut and turmeric