This creamy vegan one-pot chickpea soup comes together in about 40 minutes and is loaded with veggies and TONS of flavor! Garbanzo beans, baby red potatoes, kale, and classic mirepoix simmer in a creamy, curry spiced, coconut milk broth to create a delicious meatless meal your family will love!
You Will Love This
- I love to make a big pot of this curry spiced chickpea stew on Sunday afternoon and use up whatever veggies we've got in the fridge. The creamy curry base is made from coconut milk and broth along with plenty of spices which makes it the perfect vehicle for your family's favorite vegetables. And the best part is that it comes together all in one pot in about 40 minutes!
- If you love this chickpea soup, be sure to check out my Creamy Vegan Gnocchi Soup, my One Pot Vegan Potato Kale Soup, or my Vegan Lentil Tortilla Soup.
Ingredients and Substitution
- Onion, Carrot, Celery - To save prep time, check and see if your grocery store offers a diced mirepoix mix! You'll need about 3 cups total for this creamy soup recipe.
- Garlic Cloves - Fresh garlic is best for this soup, but you can sub ½-1 teaspoon garlic powder in its place.
- Ginger Paste - You can also mince up fresh ginger instead of using ginger paste. Use about a 1-inch knob of fresh ginger per teaspoon of ginger paste.
- Curry Powder - Curry powder is a non-negotiable ingredient in this soup! It adds the best warm, earthy flavor.
- Cumin - Cumin adds a delicious depth of flavor. If you don't have any on hand, coriander is the best substitute.
- Turmeric - Turmeric lends a beautiful yellow hue to this chickpea soup but if you don't have any on hand, you can skip it.
- Flour - A touch of flour helps thicken up the stew.
- Canned Chickpeas - Not a chickpea fan? You can use white beans as a substitute.
- Baby Red Potatoes - Baby red potatoes have thin skin and are waxy enough to hold up to a simmer. You can use baby yellow potatoes instead if you prefer.
- Split Red Lentils - Lentils are an amazing source of plant-based protein and, unlike most dried beans, lentils don’t need to be soaked before cooking. Split red lentils work best for this recipe because of their quick cook time!
- Coconut Milk - Coconut milk is the secret to creamy, vegan soups and stews. If you’re not worried about this being vegan, you can use half and half or heavy cream instead.
- Veggie Stock - Feel free to use chicken stock in place of the veggie stock if you're not worried about this recipe being vegan.
- Bay Leaves - Do you really need the bay leaf? Yes! Bay leaves infuse soups and stews with an aromatic, peppery flavor. If you’re out, use ¼ teaspoon dried oregano as your next best bet.
- Kale - Leafy greens don’t get much better than kale, and when it’s cooked down in soup it’s really pleasant. If you need a substitute, baby spinach is a good one that will hold up well to cooking and still bring a lot of nutrition to the table.
- Lime Juice - Lime juice is a game-changer for this stew. It adds a bright, freshness to a palate of deep, earthy flavors. Squeeze it fresh for the best flavor, but you can use bottled lime juice if you have it.
Saute onion, carrot, and celery in oil for about 8 minutes.
Add flour and stir to evenly coat everything. Deglaze with a splash of veggie broth.
Stir to combine add bay leaves, along with a couple pinches of salt and pepper. Simmer gently until the potatoes are fork-tender.
Add lime juice and stir in kale until wilted. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Garnish with fresh cilantro or parsley and enjoy!
Using chickpeas as your protein for a soup or stew is a great way to make those classic comforting flavors even more nutritious! Chickpeas are also a great source of fiber, minerals, vitamins, and plant-based protein! If you're looking for a hearty, meat free meal that will fill you up and fuel you through your day - this chickpea soup is it!
No! Canned chickpeas do not need to be cooked before eating! They come cooked and ready to go straight from the can. They can also be eaten right at room temperature, or hot or cold.
Chickpea stew is a simple veggie-loaded one-pot meal that your whole family will love! You can add whatever veggies you've got in the fridge or throw in some canned veggies too. Chickpea stew is a great meal to help you clean out the fridge because you can add all your odds and ends of leftover veggies!
More Easy Soup Recipes
Vegan Chickpea Soup
This creamy vegan one-pot chickpea stew comes together in about 40 minutes and is loaded with veggies and TONS of flavor! Garbanzo beans, baby red potatoes, kale, and classic mirepoix simmer in a creamy, curry spiced, coconut milk broth to create a delicious meatless meal your family will love!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: Indian
- Diet: Vegan
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 cup sliced carrot
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 6 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons ginger paste
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 (15 oz.) cans chickpeas, drained
- 1.5 pounds baby red potatoes, roughly chopped
- 1 cup split red lentils
- 1 (13.5 oz.) coconut milk
- 32 oz. vegetable stock
- ½ cup water (or more stock)
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 cups chopped kale
- 1 tablespoons lime juice
- Kosher salt
- fresh cracked pepper
- fresh chopped cilantro/parsley for garnish
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium high heat.
- Add onion, carrot, and celery along with a couple pinches of salt and pepper.
- Cook, stirring occasionally for 8 minutes.
- Stir in garlic, ginger paste, curry powder, cumin, turmeric, and a couple pinches of salt and pepper.
- Reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring frequently, for about a minute.
- Add flour and stir to evenly coat everything. Cook, stirring frequently for 1 minute.
- Stir in a splash of veggie broth to deglaze the pan, scraping the yummy bits off the bottom.
- Add chickpeas, potatoes, lentils, coconut milk, vegetable stock and water.
- Stir to combine add bay leaves, along with a couple pinches of salt and pepper.
- Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally so that the lentils don't stick to the pan.
- Turn heat to low or medium low and simmer gently for 15-18 minutes or until the potatoes are fork-tender. Add lime juice and stir in kale until wilted. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro or parsley and enjoy!
You can use whatever veggies you'd like in place of the potatoes and kale. I like to switch it up with broccoli and petite diced parsnips as well!
If you don't have coconut milk on hand, try half and half in it's place. Keep in mind this will make the stew vegetarian instead of vegan.
Keywords: chickpea stew recipe, spiced chickpea stew, spiced chickpea stew with coconut and turmeric