This hearty soup combines the well known flavors of sausage and potato soup with the very classic Wisconsin beer cheese soup.
- 12 oz. spicy turkey sausage
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 5 tablespoons flour
- 5.5 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 12 oz. can of your favorite beer
- 3 medium russet potatoes, chopped in 1/2″ pieces
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Kosher salt
- fresh cracked pepper
- Optional garnish: fresh chopped parsley and a sprinkle of cheese
- Heat a large pot over medium heat. Add turkey sausage and brown, crumbling with a spatula until cooked through. Drain grease form sausage and set aside.
- Heat butter in same large pot ( no need to wipe it out) over medium high heat. Add onion, carrots, celery and a large pinch of salt and pepper. Cook, stirring frequently for 12 minutes.
- Turn heat to medium and add garlic, oregano and thyme and cook for another minute. Then add flour and stir to coat veggies. Cook for two more minutes, stirring frequently.
- Stir in chicken broth, beer and diced potatoes along with another pinch of salt and pepper.
- Cover, turn heat up to medium high and bring to a simmer.
- Once it begins to simmer, turn heat to low and simmer 10-12 minutes or until potatoes are fork tender.
- Remove pot from heat and stir in heavy cream and shredded cheese.
- Stir until cheese has melted, garnish with fresh chopped parsley and enjoy!
Buy blocks of cheese and shred it yourself. It’s often cheaper to buy a block of cheese rather than a bag of shredded. Freshly shredded cheese will also melt better as pre-shredded cheese is coated in cellulose to help the shreds not stick together, which can also prevent the cheese from melting evenly.
Use good quality beer. Skip the Bud Light and find a high quality craft beer with a flavor that you enjoy. No dark beer, stick to lagers, ales, IPAs or the like.
Keywords: sausage potato soup, beer cheese soup, cheesy potato soup