The most perfect baked fries ever! No fryer necessary, yet they’re still perfectly crisp on the outside and tender on the inside.
- 2 lbs. russet potatoes
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Slice each potato lengthwise into 1/2 inch slices, then cut each slice into 1/2 inch wide sticks. So basically, cut the potatoes into french fries.
- Then add potatoes, oil, garlic powder, thyme and paprika to a large bowl. Add a couple generous pinches of salt and large pinch of pepper.
- Combine everything until seasoning is well distributed and fries are evenly coated.
- Spread fries in a single layer on the baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes, then flip the fries and bake for another 15 minutes.
- Then crank the heat to 500 and bake for 15 minutes. Flip fries and bake for another 5-10 minutes or until desired crispiness is reached.
- Serve with your favorite dipping sauce.
Slice the fries into 1/2″ sticks, which may appear just a bit bigger than you think they should be. The fries will shrink slightly in the oven as they bake and if they’re too small and skinny they’ll end up just being crispy little bits of nothing. You’re going for a crispy outside and a tender inside.
Don’t skip the soak. I tried it. They weren’t as good. I tried it again. Still not great. Then I did a quick 30 minute soak in cold water and they were greaaaaat! I have also soaked them overnight and they turned out delish too! The soak is important, so don’t skip this step!
Be sure to thoroughly dry the fries after soaking. This will allow the outside of the fries to get really nice and crispy. Excess water will prevent that crispy crust from forming.
Keywords: easy, simple, healthy, not fried, quick, french fry, recipe