This vegan curry soup is loaded with classic curry spices, baby gold potatoes and green lentils. It has all the feels of comfort food so your family will never guess it’s completely loaded with healthy ingredients!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeno, ribs and seeds removed, minced
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1–2 teaspoons red curry paste (if you like it spicy)
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 1 can full fat coconut milk
- 3/4 cup green lentils, uncooked
- 1 lb. baby gold potatoes, diced into bite size pieces
- 3–4 cups fresh baby spinach
- juice of 1 lime
- Kosher salt
- fresh cracked pepper
- fresh chopped cilantro for garnish
- Heat olive oil in a dutch oven over medium heat. Add onions along with a pinch of salt and pepper. Saute for 3-4 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add garlic and jalapeno and cook for 1 minute, stirring frequently.
- Add curry powder, cumin, ginger, cinnamon and red curry paste (if using). Cook for another minute, stirring frequently.
- Stir in broth, coconut milk and lentils.
- Turn up heat and bring to a simmer.
- Simmer over medium to medium low heat for 10 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes or so. Then add potatoes and simmer for another 12-15 minutes.
- You’ll know the soup is done when the potatoes are fork tender.
- Stir in fresh spinach and lime juice, garnish with fresh cilantro and enjoy!
For a toothier bite to your lentils, add them along with the potatoes and simmer them together for 15 minutes, rather than cooking them for the additional 10 minutes.
Keywords: lentil soup, curry soup, potato soup, vegan lentil soup, vegan curry soup