- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeno, ribs and seeds removed, minced
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1-2 teaspoons red curry paste (if you like it spicy)
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 1 can full fat coconut milk
- 3/4 cup green lentils, uncooked
- 1 lb. baby gold potatoes, diced into bite size pieces
- juice of 1 lime
- Kosher salt
- fresh cracked pepper
- fresh chopped cilantro for garnish
- Heat olive oil in a dutch oven over medium heat. Add onions along with a pinch of salt and pepper. Saute for 3-4 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add garlic and jalapeno and cook for 1 minute, stirring frequently.
- Add curry powder, cumin, ginger, cinnamon and red curry paste (if using). Cook for another minute, stirring frequently.
- Stir in broth, coconut milk and lentils.
- Turn up heat and bring to a simmer.
- Simmer over medium to medium low heat for 10 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes or so. Then add potatoes and simmer for another 12-15 minutes.
- You’ll know the soup is done when the potatoes are fork tender.
- Stir in lime juice, garnish with fresh cilantro and enjoy!
For a toothier bite to your lentils, add them along with the potatoes and simmer them together for 15 minutes, rather than cooking them for the additional 10 minutes.
Keywords: easy, simple, quick, healthy, stew, chowder, potato, family, dinner, weeknight, meal, recipe, meal prep, Indian