This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This vegan curry lentil soup is loaded with your favorite pantry staples including classic curry spices, garbanzo beans, coconut milk and split red lentils. It has all the feels of comfort food so your family will never guess it’s completely loaded with healthy, wholesome ingredients!
Why you’re going to love this vegan curry lentil soup:
- It’s delicious AND good for you! This vegan curry lentil soup gives you the best of both worlds in terms of being the ultimate comfort food and also being loaded with healthy, whole ingredients like garbanzo beans, red lentils, and coconut milk!
- It can be thrown together quickly with pantry staples you likely already have on hand! We are talking 20 minutes from start to finish and just a handful of canned pantry items along with some classic curry inspired spices. It doesn’t get much easier than that!
- It’s the perfect “make-ahead” meal since the flavors just get better with time! It reheats beautifully (as most soups do) making it a meal prep lover’s dream! You can throw together a big batch of this on Sunday night and dinner is done for the week!
How to make curried lentil soup:
Saute onions along with a pinch of salt and pepper for 3-4 minutes, stirring frequently.
Add garlic, curry powder, cumin, ginger, and cinnamon and cook for 1 minute, stirring frequently.
Deglaze the pan with a splash of broth, scraping all the yummy bits off the bottom of the pan.
Add chickpeas and lentils.
Add coconut milk.
Stir in the rest of the vegetable broth.
Turn up heat and bring to a simmer. Simmer over medium to medium low heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the lentils are tender.
Stir in fresh squeezed lime juice, garnish with fresh cilantro and enjoy!
What are lentils?
- Lentils are part of the legume family. A legume is a plant with an edible seed (think beans or peas).
- Lentils come dried or canned. They come in a few different varieties including red/yellow, green, brown and black.
- Lentils are an excellent source of protein and fiber which makes them a filling (and very healthy) addition to any meal. This informative article has some more great info about lentils if you want to dig a little deeper!
What makes this curry lentil soup vegan?
- This curried lentil soup is made without any animal products. The creaminess comes from the coconut milk and the cooking liquid we use in this recipe is vegetable broth.
- While I don’t follow a vegan diet, I do try to incorporate as many vegetables into my meals as possible so you’ll find a lot of vegan and vegetarian recipes here on Midwest Foodie.
If you loved this vegan curry soup, check out these other simple soups you’ll love:
- Vegan Curry Ramen Noodles
- Vegan Tomato Soup
- Easy Broccoli Cheese Soup
- Vegan Lentil Chili
- Tuscan Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup
- Slow Cooker Southwest Chicken Chili
This post was originally published in January of 2019. It was updated in March of 2020 to include step-by-step instructions, process shots and helpful hints for making the best vegan curry lentil soup!Print
This vegan curry lentil soup is loaded with your favorite pantry staples – classic curry spices, garbanzo beans, and split red lentils. It has all the feels of comfort food so your family will never guess it’s completely loaded with healthy, wholesome ingredients!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup split red lentils
- 1 (15 oz.) can garbanzo beans, drained
- 1 (13.5 oz.) can full fat coconut milk
- 32 oz. vegetable broth
- juice of 1 lime (about 2 tablespoons)
- Kosher salt
- fresh cracked pepper
- fresh chopped cilantro for garnish
- Heat olive oil in a dutch oven over medium heat. Add onions along with a pinch of salt and pepper. Saute for 3-4 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add garlic, curry powder, cumin, ginger, and cinnamon and cook for 1 minute, stirring frequently.
- Deglaze the pan with a splash of broth, scraping all the yummy bits off the bottom of the pan.
- Add chickpeas, lentils, coconut milk and remianing broth. Stir to combine.
- Turn up heat and bring to a simmer. Simmer over medium to medium low heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the lentils are cooked through.
- Stir in fresh squeezed lime juice, garnish with fresh cilantro and enjoy!
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: Indian
Keywords: lentil soup, curry soup, vegan lentil soup, vegan curry soup