30 minutes is all that stands between you and these delicious tacos! This twist on the classic Mexican favorite is loaded with fiber rich quinoa and walnuts.
- 1/2 cup tri-color quinoa
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup finely chopped toasted walnuts
- 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- Kosher salt
- fresh cracked pepper
- 8 flour tortillas
- 2 avocados, pitted
- juice of 2 limes
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro
- large pinch of Kosher salt
- splash of water
- pico de gallo
- lime wedges
- sliced cabbage
- fresh cilantro
- Add quinoa and water to a small pot. Bring to a boil and cook quinoa according to package directions. Fluff with a fork and set aside.
- Heat oil in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring frequently for about 4 minutes.
- Add garlic, walnuts, cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, paprika, soy sauce and 2 tablespoons water.
- Cook, stirring frequently for about 1 minute.
- Then stir in quinoa and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Stir to combine and cook until just heated through.
- Serve with your favorite taco toppings!
To achieve that taco meat texture: chop your walnuts finely. You can also throw them in a food processor if that’s easier. The walnuts are going to give your “taco meat” that signature texture so they should resemble crumbly ground beef.
Get creative with your toppings! Gone are the days of shredded iceberg lettuce, cheddar cheese and sour cream. Boost the flavor of your vegan tacos with black beans, refried beans, salsa, onions, sliced cabbage, cilantro or pico de gallo. These options will add tons of flavor and more nutritional value than traditional taco toppings.
- Category: Main Dish
- Cuisine: Vegan
Keywords: vegan tacos, vegetarian tacos, healthy tacos, clean eating tacos, walnut tacos, quinoa tacos