This creamy avocado sauce takes just 5 minutes to prepare and will take your 10 Minute Blackened Salmon Tacos to the next level! It's loaded with fresh flavors and will stay good in the fridge for up to 5 days!
You'll Love This
- If you love avocado, you are going to LOVE LOVE LOVE this creamy sauce! It's like guacamole but a million times smoother and creamier! It's kind of like a lighter, tangier version of guac.
- If you're looking for some fun recipes to serve with creamy avocado sauce, be sure to check out my Walking Taco Casserole, Crispy Slow Cooker Carnitas, or Crispy Vegan Potatoes.
Ingredients and Substitutions
- Avocados - This creamy sauce is the perfect way to use up those perfectly ripe (or maybe a little too ripe) avocados. Avocados that aren't ripe yet won't work well in this avocado sauce.
- Sour Cream - This is an essential part of the sauce! Sour cream adds the “creamy” in this creamy avocado dip. I recommend full fat sour cream for the best flavor and texture.
- Cilantro - The cilantro in this recipe adds so much to the overall taste. If you don't have any in the fridge, just use another fresh chopped herb in its place, like flat-leaf parsley, or even basil! You’ll end up with a unique and fresh taste with a similar texture because of the fresh herbs.
- Lime Juice - Although limes are the best in this recipe, lemon juice will also work in a pinch! Lemon juice is the most similar in tang, acidity, and flavor to limes and the best substitute for lime juice in this recipe.
Add avocado, cilantro, lime juice, sour cream, a pinch of salt, and a splash of water to a food processor.
Process until well combined, smooth, and creamy! Then serve with your favorite tacos!
- Use fresh lime juice if possible. Bottled lime juice will work in a pinch (and I've used it many times) but if you can squeeze fresh lime juice that will give you the best flavor!
- Season to taste with salt. I like to add a pinch of salt when adding the ingredients to the food processor. And then I taste it after it's all blended together and add a bit more salt. The ingredients in this sauce are SO simple that salt is going to go a long way to boost the flavors!
I make this quick and easy Creamy Avocado Sauce with ripe avocados, sour cream, fresh cilantro, and freshly squeezed lime juice. It is simple, delicious, and the perfect addition to your favorite taco recipe!
Thanks to the fresh lime juice, your avocado sauce will not turn brown! Avocados turn brown once exposed to air, but adding lime juice prevents that from happening. The lime juice also adds a ton of fresh, bright flavor to this sauce!
Seal it in an airtight container and store it in the fridge! It's just that easy! Avocado sauce kept this way will last up to five days. Give it a stir when you take it out of the fridge because the lime juice will separate from the sauce.
Yes! Just sub vegan sour cream in place of the regular sour cream and you've got a creamy avocado sauce that is totally vegan!
Easy Taco Recipes
This creamy avocado sauce takes just a few minutes to prepare and will take your tacos, flautas, or tostadas to the next level! It's the perfect dipper for your oven baked fries and a great accompaniment for sheet pan quesadillas.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 0 minutes
- Total Time: 5 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
- Category: Appetizer/Side Dish
- Method: No Cook
- Cuisine: Mexican/American
- Diet: Vegetarian
- 2 avocados, pitted and diced
- ¼ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro leaves
- juice of 2-3 limes
- Kosher salt, to taste
- splash of water
Season to taste with salt. I like to add a pinch of salt when adding the ingredients to the food processor. And then I taste it after it's all blended together and add a bit more salt. The ingredients in this sauce are SO simple that salt is going to go a long way to boost the flavors!
Keywords: avocado sauce recipe, creamy avocado sauce
This recipe was originally published in June of 2019. It was updated in July of 2021 to include detailed instructions and tips for making the best avocado sauce every single time!