This tomato soup is so hearty and filling, you’d never guess it’s completely free of animal products and super healthy!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons vegan basil pesto
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 28 oz. can whole fire roasted San Marzano tomatoes
- 14.5 oz. can vegetable broth
- 13.5 oz. can coconut milk
- Kosher salt
- fresh cracked pepper
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion along with a large pinch of salt and pepper and cook, stirring frequently for 3-4 minutes. Add garlic and cook for another minute.
- Stir in pesto, oregano, sugar, tomatoes and vegetable broth.
- Turn heat to high and bring to a simmer.
- Lower heat and simmer over medium low heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Carefully transfer soup to a high speed blender and blend for about 2 minutes, or until smooth and creamy. Be sure to leave the pour spout or center hole on the blender lid open and then cover the opening with a kitchen towel to prevent the lid from flying off and covering you in hot soup!
- Pour soup back into the large pot and stir in coconut milk, reserving a couple tablespoons for garnish if you’d like. Season to taste with salt and pepper and heat over medium heat until warmed through.
- Garnish with remaining coconut milk, fresh chopped parsley, red pepper flakes and crostini (see notes below).
- To make the crostini: Slice French bread into 1/2″ thick slices and lay on a baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and broil for 1-2 minutes or until golden brown. Flip bread over and broil the other side for 1-2 minutes or until golden brown. Serve with soup and enjoy!
Keywords: vegan tomato soup, vegan soup, tomato soup