This vegan tomato soup recipe comes together in 25 minutes with just 10 ingredients! The secret to this quick and easy family dinner is canned tomatoes, which means this meal is a breeze - even on a busy weeknight!
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion along with a large pinch of salt and pepper and cook, stirring frequently for 3-4 minutes. Add garlic, oregano, and thyme, and cook for another minute.
- Stir in pesto, sugar, tomatoes, and vegetable broth.
- Turn heat to medium-high and bring to a simmer.
- Lower heat and simmer over medium low heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Carefully transfer soup to a high speed blender and blend for about 2 minutes, or until smooth and creamy. Be sure to leave the pour spout or center hole on the blender lid open and then cover the opening with a kitchen towel to prevent the lid from flying off and covering you in hot soup!
- Pour soup back into the large pot and stir in coconut milk, reserving a couple tablespoons for garnish if you'd like. Heat over medium heat until it comes to a simmer. Turn heat to medium-low, simmer for 5 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Garnish with remaining coconut milk, fresh chopped parsley, and homemade croutons.
If you want a thicker tomato soup, try using 2-3 cups of broth instead of the full 4 cups. You can always add more broth as desired. I like a creamy, dip-able tomato soup but I realize that some prefer a stick-to-your-spoon thick tomato soup!
If you're not worried about this soup being vegan, feel free to use regular basil pesto (which is traditionally made with Parmesan cheese) and you can also sub heavy cream for the coconut milk. However, I actually prefer the taste of the vegan ingredients in this soup even though I don't follow a plant-based diet.
A high-speed blender is REALLY helpful for this recipe! A regular blender will work just fine too but you won't get quite as smooth a consistency. We have a Ninja blender and absolutely love it! It works great for soups like this and also for smoothies and sauces.
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: homemade creamy tomato soup, vegan tomato basil soup, vegan creamy tomato soup