This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This vegan tomato soup recipe comes together in 25 minutes with just 10 ingredients! The secret to this quick and easy family dinner is canned tomatoes, which means this meal is a breeze - even on a busy weeknight!
You Will Love This
- It's simple! The ingredient list is short and sweet for this homemade creamy tomato soup. And so is the prep time. Canned fire-roasted tomatoes make this soup a breeze to throw together at the last minute! If you're a fan of quick and easy soup recipes be sure to check out my Vegan White Chickpea Chili, Vegan Olive Garden Gnocchi Soup, or Vegan Lentil Tortilla Soup.
- It's quick and easy! Just 25 minutes from start to finish and much of that time is just letting the soup simmer! The ease of this vegan tomato basil soup makes it one of our family's favorite weeknight dinners!
- It's not loaded with preservatives! Have you read the label on your favorite brand of canned tomato soup? Not good! This soup is filled with real ingredients so you can feel good about feeding it to your family.
Ingredients and Substitutions
- Olive Oil - This is our family's favorite brand of olive oil. Try to find something cold-pressed and organic.
- Yellow Onion - You could also use white onion in place of the yellow onion in this vegan creamy tomato soup.
- Fresh Garlic - If you're in a pinch you could use ½-1 teaspoon garlic powder in place of the freshly sliced garlic, but I highly recommend keeping a head of garlic in your pantry for days when you need a hearty vegan soup or Tuscan pasta.
- Vegan Basil Pesto - This is my favorite brand of vegan basil pesto. You can also use my easy basil pesto recipe and substitute nutritional yeast for the Parmesan!
- Dried Oregano & Thyme - You could use Italian seasoning in place of the dried oregano and dried thyme in this creamy tomato soup.
- Sugar - You can replace the sugar with your favorite sweetener, but just a bit of something sweet helps to balance out the acidity from the tomatoes. The coconut milk will also help with this.
- Fire-Roasted Diced Tomatoes - I love to use fire-roasted diced tomatoes because they add such great depth of flavor, but regular diced tomatoes would work just fine as well.
- Vegetable Broth - You can also use veggie stock in place of the broth. And if you’re not worried about it being vegan you can use chicken broth as well.
- Full-Fat Canned Coconut Milk - This is our favorite brand of coconut milk. You want to make sure you're using a full-fat canned coconut milk - not coconut milk from a carton or light coconut milk.
Saute onion in a large pot along with salt and pepper for about 3-4 minutes. Add garlic, oregano, and thyme, and cook for another minute.
Stir in pesto, sugar, tomatoes, and vegetable broth.
Turn heat to medium-high and bring to a simmer. Lower heat and simmer over medium-low heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Carefully transfer soup to a high-speed blender and blend for about 2 minutes, or until smooth and creamy.
- It's important to exercise caution when blending hot liquids in a blender! Because the liquid is hot it will give off steam. If you put the lid on the blender and seal the hot liquid inside, when you start to blend the lid of the blender will inevitably fly off, spraying hot soup everywhere!
- To remedy this situation you can leave the pour spout or the center hole of the blender lid (depending on which model you have) open and place a clean kitchen towel over the opening while you are blending.
- This will ensure that any soup gets caught by the kitchen towel and will allow the steam a chance to escape so you don't end up with kitchen cupboards covered in soup!
- This vegan tomato soup recipe is perfect for meal prep! The flavors in this soup just get better with time and it will stay food in the fridge in an airtight container for up to a week. To reheat, just transfer to a saucepan and cook over medium heat until warmed through. Then season to taste with salt and pepper.
- If you want a thicker tomato soup, try using 2-3 cups of broth instead of the full 4 cups. You can always add more broth as desired. I like a creamy, dip-able tomato soup but I realize that some prefer a stick-to-your-spoon thick tomato soup!
- If you're not worried about this soup being vegan, feel free to use regular basil pesto (which is traditionally made with Parmesan cheese) and you can also sub heavy cream for the coconut milk. However, I actually prefer the taste of the vegan ingredients in this soup even though I don't follow a plant-based diet.
- A high-speed blender is REALLY helpful for this recipe! A regular blender will work just fine too but you won't get quite as smooth a consistency. We have a Ninja blender and absolutely love it! It works great for soups like this and also for smoothies and sauces.
It's not as hard as you might think! Onion, garlic, and dried herbs sauteed in olive oil give the soup an aromatic base, then comes the basil pesto, canned tomatoes, and veggie broth. Blend it all up then add coconut milk and you've got a creamy, delicious vegan tomato soup!
In this recipe garlic, onion, dried herbs, and basil pesto are the key ingredients that take this tomato soup to the next level. Fire-roasted tomatoes all add another layer of flavor to the soup as well as full-fat coconut milk.
Easy Vegan Soups
- Vegan Olive Garden Gnocchi Soup
- Creamy Vegan Potato Kale Soup
- Vegan Spicy Black Bean & Rice Soup
- Vegan Curry Lentil & Potato Soup
- Vegan Black Bean Lentil Chili
This recipe was originally published in January 2019. It was updated in February 2021 to include detailed instructions for making the perfect vegan tomato soup every single time!