Perfect for a quick vegetarian dinner or an easy party appetizer, this Caprese flatbread takes just minutes to throw together and includes a crispy, flatbread crust, homemade spinach pesto, lots of fresh mozzarella cheese, ripe grape tomatoes and a tangy balsamic glaze along with fresh basil!
- 2 flatbreads (from my easy flatbread recipe or store-bought flatbread)
- cornmeal for dusting pans
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup spinach pesto (or your favorite store-bought pesto)
- 8 oz. fresh mozzarella
- 1 cup halved grape tomatoes
- 1/4 cup balsamic glaze/reduction
- large handful fresh basil, julienne cut
- grated Parmesan for garnish, optional
- Kosher salt
- Throw together my quick and easy flatbread recipe. Follow instructions for partially baking crusts in this recipe or use store bought flatbread crusts.
- Heat oven to 550 degrees.
- Dust baking sheet with cornmeal (or line pan with parchment paper) and place crusts on it.
- Divide olive oil evenly between the flatbreads, brushing it all the way out to the edges, covering the entire flatbread. This helps the edges get nice and crisp.
- Divide pesto evenly between the crusts, spreading it in an even layer.
- Top pesto layer with torn pieces of fresh mozzarella.
- Top with halved grape tomatoes.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the edges of the crust start to get dark golden brown.
- Broil for 1-2 minutes or unil the cheese starts to get dark golden brown.
- Drizzle with balsamic reduction, garnish with fresh basil, and grated Parmesan if desired, and sprinkle with a couple pinches of Kosher salt. Enjoy!
You can use my quick and easy flatbread recipe or store-bought naan for this recipe. My flatbread recipe only takes 5 minutes to throw together AND requires no yeast but if you’re in a pinch, my favorite naan is the Stonefire brand. Either will work great for this recipe!
You could also use storebought pizza dough for the base of this recipe or either of my easy pizza dough recipes – No Knead Pizza Dough or Quick Pizza Dough. Just make sure that you par-bake the crust before topping it so that it doesn’t get too soggy!
If you can’t find balsamic glaze at the store, you can make your own! All you have to do to make balsamic glaze/reduction is to place balsamic vinegar in a small saucepan and simmer it over medium heat until it reduces and gets thick. Check out this Roasted Tomato & Burrata Recipe to see how easy it is to make your own reduction! If you’d prefer to buy it, this is my favorite brand of store-bought balsamic glaze.
This Caprese flatbread is really good with sun-dried tomatoes if you can’t get your hands on any fresh tomatoes! I recommend the oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes. And I also recommend drizzling the flatbread with a little of that delicious sun-dried tomato oil also.
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: Italian/American
Keywords: tomato mozzarella pizza, Caprese pizza, tomato flatbread