This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Perfect for a quick vegetarian dinner or an easy party appetizer, this Caprese flatbread takes just minutes to throw together and includes a crispy, flatbread crust, homemade spinach pesto, lots of fresh mozzarella cheese, ripe grape tomatoes and a tangy balsamic glaze along with fresh basil!
You'll Love This
- If you like traditional Caprese salad, you're going to love this flatbread recipe! It's got all the traditional ingredients of classic Caprese - fresh tomato, fresh basil, and fresh mozzarella - but with a little added twist of fresh spinach pesto, and balsamic glaze - in the form of a handheld snacketizer. Yes, that's right it's a snack and an appetizer mixed together. And I AM thinking about trademarking that word! 😉
- It's a super quick and easy weeknight dinner! It takes just minutes to throw together and you can easily customize it to suit your family's tastes or switch up the ingredients based on what you've got in your fridge. It also works really well as a party appetizer or finger food - just cut it into smaller pieces to make it go further!
- It's a gorgeous vegetarian meal that you can eat with your eyes and a great way to use up all those ripe tomatoes from the garden! Pin this recipe for later so that when you find your garden overflowing with juicy tomatoes this summer, you've got the perfect simple recipe to showcase the bounty of your harvest!
Throw together my quick and easy flatbread recipe and follow the instructions for partially baking the crusts. Or use 2 store-bought flatbread crusts.
Divide olive oil evenly between the flatbreads, brushing it all the way out to the edges, covering the entire flatbread. This helps the edges get nice and crisp.
Divide spinach pesto evenly between the crusts, spreading it in a thin layer.
Top pesto layer with torn pieces of fresh mozzarella.
Top with halved grape tomatoes.
Bake for 10-15 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the edges of the crust start to get dark golden brown. Broil for 1-2 minutes or until the cheese starts to get dark golden brown.
Drizzle with balsamic reduction, garnish with fresh basil and grated Parmesan if desired, and sprinkle with a couple pinches of Kosher salt. Enjoy!
- You can use my quick and easy flatbread recipe or store-bought naan for this recipe. My flatbread recipe only takes 5 minutes to throw together AND requires no yeast but if you're in a pinch, my favorite naan is the Stonefire brand. Either will work great for this recipe!
- You could also use storebought pizza dough for the base of this recipe or either of my easy pizza dough recipes - No Knead Pizza Dough or Quick Pizza Dough. Just make sure that you par-bake the crust before topping it so that it doesn't get too soggy!
- If you can't find balsamic glaze at the store, you can make your own! All you have to do to make balsamic glaze/reduction is to place balsamic vinegar in a small saucepan and simmer it over medium heat until it reduces and gets thick. Check out this Roasted Tomato & Burrata Recipe to see how easy it is to make your own reduction! If you'd prefer to buy it, this is my favorite brand of store-bought balsamic glaze.
- This Caprese flatbread is really good with sun-dried tomatoes if you can't get your hands on any fresh tomatoes! I recommend the oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes. And I also recommend drizzling the flatbread with a little of that delicious sun-dried tomato oil also.
Family Favorite Flatbreads
- 5 Minute - NO YEAST - Flatbread Recipe
- Easy Spinach Pesto Recipe
- Pizza Dough Pretzel Bites
- Loaded Baked Potato Flatbread Pizza
- Mexican Street Corn Flatbread
- Caramelized Onion & Gorgonzola Flatbread