Refrigerated pizza dough makes these cinnamon rolls easy to prepare in just 15 minutes! Let the sweet smell of homemade cinnamon rolls fill your kitchen this weekend!
For the cinnamon rolls:
- 1/2 a recipe of my favorite no knead pizza dough (or 1 lb. refrigerated store bought dough)
- 1 stick softened butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons cinnamon
- pinch of Kosher salt
For the frosting:
- 4 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoon butter, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1–2 tablespoons heavy cream
- pinch of Kosher salt
- Transfer pizza dough to a lightly floured work surface and use a rolling pin to roll the dough into a large rectangle about 12″x18″.
- Spread butter across the dough in an even layer all the way out to the edges.
- In a small bowl combine brown sugar, cinnamon and salt. Sprinkle mixture across the butter in an even layer.
- Roll dough tightly forming a log (so the 18 inch side is going to be the side you start rolling). Then gently pat the ends so that the is the same thickness throughout. You’ll end up with a cinnamon roll log about 12-13 inches long.
- Use a sharp knife to score the log into thirds. Then score each of those sections into thirds, giving you a guide to slice the dough into 9 cinnamon rolls.
- Use a length of floss to cut each roll by shimmying the floss under the log, lining the floss up with the score lines, then pulling the floss in opposite directions.
- Transfer cinnamon rolls to a lightly greased 8×8 baking dish.
- Cover with a clean kitchen towel and allow to rise for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake cinnamon rolls uncovered for 30-35 minutes. Ovens vary, so be sure to check the cinnamon rolls after 20 minutes or so and go from there.
- While the rolls are baking, use a mixer to whip cream cheese and butter together in a large bowl. Add powdered sugar and whip until combined.
- Add vanilla and a tablespoon of cream along with a pinch of salt.
- Whip until the frosting is thick and creamy. Add more cream as needed to loosen up the frosting.
- Spread the frosting over the fresh-from-the-oven cinnamon rolls in an even layer and enjoy!
Pizza dough makes the perfect cinnamon roll dough! My no knead pizza dough is really best in this recipe, but store bought pizza dough will work just fine also!
Use floss to slice the cinnamon rolls. It might seem crazy but it totally works! You’ll get even, perfectly sliced rolls every time.
Always let the cinnamon rolls rise in the pan before baking. After slicing the rolls and placing them in your pan, make sure you let them rise for 30 minutes. This step is very crucial. It will make your cinnamon rolls big and puffy and ensure that they are cooked on the outside but tender on the inside.
Double the frosting recipe if your family loves lots of that ooey gooey cream cheese frosting!
- Category: Brunch
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: homemade cinnamon rolls, cream cheese frosting, scratch made cinnamon rolls, cinnamon buns