These veggie enchiladas are loaded with protein, fiber and fresh flavors! Your family won't even miss the meat, I promise.
- 1 (15 oz.) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (12 oz.) bag frozen corn
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 3 stalks green onion, thinly sliced
- 8 oz. shredded pepper jack cheese
- 4 oz. shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 14-18 small flour tortillas, or corn tortillas
- 3 cups of your favorite enchilada sauce
- Kosher salt
- fresh cracked black pepper
- fresh chopped cilantro
- crumbled queso fresco
- sour cream
- sliced jalapeno
- Easy Blender Salsa
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Combine beans, corn, cumin, chili powder, most of the sliced green onion (reserve a small handful for garnish), pepper jack cheese, 1/2 a cup of enchilada sauce, and salt and pepper in a large bowl.
- Pour 1 cup of enchilada sauce into the bottom of a baking dish.
- Fill tortilla with about 1/3 a cup filling, roll up enchiladas, and place them seam-side down in the baking dish.
- Continue with the remaining tortillas until they are filled.
- Pour remaining 1.5 cups of sauce over enchiladas and top with cheddar cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the sauce is bubbly.
- Garnish with green onion, cilantro, queso fresco, and serve with sour cream and blender salsa.
You can use flour or corn tortillas for these black bean enchiladas. I usually use whichever we have on hand, but the flavors are going to be very similar either way.
If you use flour tortillas, you can just roll the enchiladas without prepping the tortillas at all. If you choose to use corn tortillas, you will need to fry them in just a bit of vegetable oil before rolling the enchiladas up.
Don’t overstuff the enchiladas. ⅓ a cup of filling is perfect so that there is enough in each enchilada but it’s not spilling out all over. This is especially important if you’re using corn tortillas as those tend to be more delicate and break easier. Flour tortillas have a little more give to them, but still taste best when they aren’t overstuffed.
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Stovetop/Oven
- Cuisine: Mexican/American
Keywords: vegetarian enchiladas, bean enchiladas, black bean and cheese enchiladas