This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
These Vegan Chickpea Tacos are the easy, delicious, weeknight meal you’ve been waiting for! They are seasoned with classic taco flavors - minus the mysterious ingredients hiding in pre-packaged blends. Cilantro Lime Slaw and homemade Pico de Gallo add the perfect punch of bright, fresh flavor to create a vegetarian taco that your family will love.
You'll Love This
- They're so quick! These chickpea tacos are a simple, meatless meal that's on the table in about 20 minutes and the hands-on cook time is very minimal! This means while the chickpeas are sauteeing you can chop veggies for Pico de Gallo and throw together my 5 Minute Cilantro Lime Slaw. Both add an amazing freshness, and you'll have a flavorful, veggie-filled dinner ready in no time!
- It’s so simple! These easy vegan tacos practically cook themselves. The only skills required are chopping and stirring, so this is a great recipe for newer home cooks! Delicious dinners don't need to have tons of ingredients or be difficult to make. Sometimes the simplest of meals end up being the most delicious!
- Cleanup is a snap! Dinner cleanup doesn’t get easier than wiping out one pan. With cooking oil and regular stirring, there probably won’t even be anything stuck to your pan when it’s time to clean up! One-pan dinners are my personal favorite and this one is no exception!
Dry chickpeas thoroughly on a clean kitchen towel. Heat 3 tablespoons oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add chickpeas to the pan and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring frequently for 10 minutes.
Then cook for another minute or two until the chickpeas are crispy but not burned.
- Spice it up! If you like your vegan chickpea tacos with a bit of kick, add a pinch of cayenne to the spice mixture to increase the heat.
- Double the recipe and cook in batches! If you're feeding a crowd, make a couple batches of sauteed chickpeas! Set the first batch aside and cover them to keep warm (or transfer to your oven if you have a “Warm Hold” setting). Then, make a second batch. Doubling the recipe in one pan will make it really hard to roast the chickpeas evenly because the chickpeas will be too crowded. Best to do it in batches if you're doubling the recipe!
- Store leftovers! If you have leftovers (or if you want to meal prep or make extra) roasted chickpeas will stay good in the fridge for about a week in an airtight container. Give them a quick saute in oil before serving to bring back their original crispy texture and dinner is ready!
- Add your favorite toppings! What do you love on tacos? Avocado? An extra squeeze of lime? The Cilantro Slaw and Pico de Gallo add tons of flavor, but feel free to add whatever you’re missing! I love to add a drizzle of Creamy Avocado Sauce too!
Vegan Family Favorites
- Vegan Lentil Tortilla Soup
- Vegan Chickpea Gyros
- Vegan Lentil Mushroom Stew
- Vegan Red Beans & Rice
- Creamy Vegan Chickpea Gnocchi Soup