This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Ditch the blue box and it's endless ingredient list for this 20 minute, 9 ingredient REAL one pot mac and cheese. Your kids are going to love it and you don't have to worry about feeding them ingredients you can't pronounce!
You'll start by adding the uncooked noodles and cheese to a large pot.
Then add butter, half and half and vegetable stock.
Simmer over medium to medium low heat for 10 minutes or until noodles are cooked al dente and the sauce is thick and creamy.
The combo of butter, half and half and veg stock is going to combine with the shredded cheddar to give you the creamiest, dreamiest mac and cheese you've ever tasted.
THAT'S RIGHT FOLKS. NO NEED TO BOIL THE NOODLES IN A SEPARATE POT!! This means one less dish for you to wash (actually two less if you use a strainer) - woohoo!
You'll Love This
- Your kids are going to love it! I have yet to meet a child who has not instantly devoured this meal. And you're going to love it too! Mac and cheese is one of those classic meals that will always remind you of your childhood AND your toddler is guaranteed to love it too!
- It cooks in one pot! Add all the ingredients to one pot, simmer away and dinner is done! I'm a HUGE fan of one pot pastas, but this one tops this list for easy prep and easy clean up!
- It's got 9 REAL ingredients. The ingredient list is short and REAL. Real butter, half and half, cheese and noodles. No preservatives, no ingredients you can't pronounce and nothing to feel bad about feeding your child. This mac and cheese is as good as it gets!
Basically, any short cut of pasta is going to work well for this dish. Save your spaghetti and fettuccine noodles for another time though!
- Depending on what brand of noodles you purchase, the cook time may vary slightly. I used these noodles and 10 minutes of simmering was perfect. If you find that your noodles are not quite done but your sauce is getting too thick, just add more half and half, veg stock or even milk.
- Be sure to stir the mac and cheese every few minutes or so. This will ensure that the noodles don't get stuck to the bottom and that they cook evenly.
- Feel free to use other kinds of cheese! Mac and cheese isn't just for kids and we make "adult versions" all the time. Try smoked gouda with crumbled bacon. Or freshly shredded Parmesan with steamed broccoli. Use this recipe as a blueprint and make it your own!
- Lemon & Garlic One Pot Pasta
- One Pot Fettuccine Alfredo
- One Pot Sausage Rigatoni
- Mediterranean One Pot Pasta
- One Pot Smoked Gouda & Sun Dried Tomato Pasta