This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This dreamy creamy potato soup is loaded with bacon roasted Yukon gold potatoes along with roasted garlic and dried herbs - giving you the very easiest loaded baked potato inspired dinner ever! The best part is that it's mostly hands-off cooking time which makes it totally possible on a busy weeknight!
You'll Love This
- It's easy to prepare! The oven does all the hard work in this recipe - cooking the bacon AND roasting the potatoes for you! And the only (not even really that fancy) kitchen tool you'll need is a high speed blender or an immersion blender. If you don't have one of those, you can use a food processor or potato masher to mince and mash the veggies and give this creamy potato soup a bit more of a chunky texture. But the flavors will still be just as delicious!
- The potatoes are roasted IN BACON GREASE. I mean, come on. Bacon roasted potatoes. Yes, please! Cooking bacon in the oven is the easiest way to get evenly cooked, perfectly crisp strips every single time. And the leftover bacon grease that drips through the cooling rack is the perfect flavor enhancer for the roasted potatoes! It gives the soup a subtle smokey flavor and it's just really great.
- It'll stay good in the fridge for up to a week. Which means you can make it on Sunday afternoon and have a quick and easy dinner ready to go all week! Just heat in a pot over medium heat - you might have to add a splash of half and half, milk or broth to loosen it up a bit - until it's warmed through. Don't forget to season to taste with salt and pepper after re-heating each time!
Place a cooling rack on a baking sheet. Place bacon on the cooling rack.
Bake for about 15 minutes or until crisp.
Place diced potatoes and onions onto the greasy baking sheet. Place garlic on a small piece of tin foil. Drizzle everything with oil and season with herbs, salt, and pepper and toss to coat. Seal garlic inside by folding the tin foil into a small pouch.
Roast for about 25 minutes or until the potatoes are fork tender.
Transfer potatoes and onions to a high speed blender. Squeeze garlic from the skins into the blender as well.
Add 3 cups of chicken broth and blend soup just until it becomes smooth and creamy - do not blend for too long!
Transfer soup to a large pot and heat over medium heat just until warmed through. Stir in half and half and vinegar.
Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Garnish with your favorites and enjoy!
- You don't need to peel the potatoes! The thin skin on the Yukon gold potatoes is just one of the reasons that we chose them for this recipe! Yukon golds get super buttery when cooked and also have a low starch level which means they're less like to turn into a gluey mess when blended!
- Blend the soup JUST until smooth and creamy. Don't blend for too long or you'll end up with a gluey mess instead of smooth and creamy soup! If you really want to ensure that the soup doesn't turn gluey, just pulse the blender until the potatoes are minced but not completely smooth. That will give you a thicker, chunkier texture which some people really love in their soups!
- If you don't have a blender, you can use a potato masher instead! This won't give you a perfectly smooth texture, but it will still give you a creamy potato soup! Just place the roasted potatoes into a large pot along with the broth. Mash potatoes until mostly smooth. Then use the side of a chef's knife to smash the roasted garlic into a paste and chop the onions up. Add them to the soup and continue following the directions in the recipe card.
- Go crazy with the toppings! If you've checked out any of my other soup recipes, you've noticed that I like to garnish, garnish, garnish when it comes to soup! I love to add a variety of textures and flavors to my soups and this one is no exception! Sour cream adds a cool, creamy element. Crispy bacon adds a meaty crunch. And fresh chopped parsley elevates all the flavors to another level.
Family Favorite Soups
- Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Vegan Black Bean & Rice Soup
- Beer Cheese Soup with Sausage & Potato
- Vegetarian Broccoli Cheese Soup
- Vegan Tomato Soup
- Tomato & Tortellini Soup