This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
The easiest weeknight dinner ever, these Instant Pot Shredded Chicken Tacos take just minutes to prep and are LOADED with flavor! You can use fresh or frozen chicken to make these tacos and the leftovers reheat like a dream. Make room in your monthly meal rotation for this family favorite!
You'll Love These
- They're SO quick and easy! We are talking less than 5 minutes to throw everything together. This recipe is literally just dump, stir, and cook. You'll be amazed at how easy and delicious this shredded chicken taco recipe is!
- They're loaded with flavor! Even with the simple ingredient list, these chicken tacos are packed with tons of flavor. The combination of salsa and dried spices are infused into the chicken through the pressure cooking process. Leaving you with tender, juicy, and super flavorful shredded chicken. No more bland, dry chicken for your family on taco night!
- They're great for meal prep. Make a double batch and enjoy them throughout the week. Make sure you reserve the leftover juices as those will come in handy when it's time to reheat. Just add chicken and juices to a skillet over medium heat and cook, stirring frequently until warmed through. Then top as desired and enjoy!
Stir to combine. Nestle chicken into the salsa mixture.
Cook on the poultry setting for 12 minutes if using fresh/thawed chicken and 15 minutes if using frozen chicken.
Shred with two forks.
Serve with flour tortillas, Cilantro Lime Slaw, sour cream, and queso fresco.
- If you've got some extra time when you're getting ready to make these tacos, try throwing together my super tasty Roasted Tomato Salsa or my quick and easy Restaurant Style Blender Salsa. Both are delicious options that would work well for this taco recipe.
- If you're in a hurry, try to find a jar of roasted tomato salsa at the store. This is my favorite kind of store-bought salsa. The roasted tomato flavor adds a little extra something special to these tacos. If you enjoy the flavor and slight spiciness of salsa verde (green salsa), this is another one of my favorite kinds of store-bought salsa.
- If you like your tacos on the spicier side, try adding a couple pinches of cayenne pepper or 1-3 teaspoons of diced chipotle peppers in adobo before you cook the chicken. This will add a nice little kick and some smoky flavor! If only some in your family like it spicy, you could also serve these shredded chicken tacos with pickled jalapenos or your favorite hot sauce.
- It's going to seem like there's a lot of liquid in the instant pot after it's all done cooking, but once you shred the chicken it will soak up the liquid quite quickly. This will ensure that the chicken doesn't get dry and stays nice and juicy! It's also helpful when reheating the shredded chicken later.
- I love to use these street corn flour tortillas for these chicken tacos. They are extra fluffy and the perfect size so you can have 2-3 for dinner. They're also easier for little kids to hold than a traditional fajita or taco size tortilla!
Slow Cooker Instructions
- If you don't have an instant pot, or would prefer to let this cook in your slow cooker - you totally can!
- You can cook this exact same recipe in a slow cooker for 4 hours on high or 8 hours on low. Then shred and enjoy!
Other Family Favorites
- Easy Roasted Tomato Salsa
- Restaurant Style Blender Salsa
- 5 Minute Cilantro Lime Slaw
- Creamy Avocado Cilantro Sauce
- Slow Cooker Barbacoa Beef Tacos