These peppermint cheesecake bars SO good and almost too easy to make. A buttery, crushed Oreo crust is topped with a thick layer of rich, creamy peppermint cheesecake with little bits of crushed candy cane running through it.
These are quite possibly the most perfect holiday dessert!
How to make peppermint cheesecake bars:
These cheesecake bars start with a delicious buttery crushed Oreo cookie crust pressed into the bottom of a foil lined pan.
Top that with a layer of thick, creamy, peppermint flavored cheesecake with little bits of crushed candy cane. Then the cheesecake is baked to perfection in the oven at a 325 degrees and cooled in the fridge overnight.
The next day you’ll use the foil to help remove the bars from the pan, slice and serve!
Do my ingredients really need to be at room temperature?
Yes! Not only will it make mixing the ingredients together SO much easier, it also ensures that the cheesecake bakes evenly.
I usually let my ingredients that need to be room temperature sit out for at least 4 hours. Unless it’s summer time (we don’t have A/C) in which case an hour will usually do the trick.
I’ve even read some recipes where they recommend leaving the room temperature ingredients out overnight which is another option if you want things to be ready bright and early when you wake up!
What kind of pan do I use for cheesecake bars?
Did I mention that these ppeppermint cheesecake bars bake in the little black dress of bakeware? The 9×13″ pan!! No spring form business, no water bath nonsense. Just simple, straight forward, delicious peppermint cheesecake.
Cheesecake doesn’t have to be daunting or difficult!! Lining your baking dish with tin foil also makes clean up a breeze!
How do I cut cheesecake bars?
The secret to getting those perfectly smooth edges on these cheesecake bars is to use a sharp knife that’s been run under warm water and then dried off with a clean kitchen towel.
In between each cut, rinse the knife with warm water, dry and then slice. Your cheesecake will cut like butter and your slices will be picture perfect!
Can I make these peppermint cheesecake bars ahead of time?
You sure can! In fact, it is preferable that these be made ahead of time as they will need at least 8 hours in the fridge to cool and really setup.
You can even make these cheesecake bars up to a week in advance, but I’d say a day or two is ideal. Wait to slice the bars until just before serving so that they don’t dry out around the edges.Print
A buttery, crushed Oreo crust topped with a thick layer of peppermint cream cheese with little bits of crushed candy cane.
- 12 oz. crushed Oreo cookies
- 5 tablespoon melted butter
- 3 (8 oz.) packages cream cheese, at room temperature
- 8 oz. sour cream, at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon peppermint extract
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- Pinch Kosher salt
- 1/2 cup crushed candy canes + more for garnish
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees and line a 9×13 pan with tin foil. In a medium bowl mix crushed Oreos and melted butter until well combined. Press mixture in an even layer across the bottom of the baking dish.
- In a large bowl use a hand held mixer to combine cream cheese and sour cream until mostly smooth. Add sugar and peppermint extract and mix until combined. Then add eggs and salt and mix until smooth and creamy. Fold in crushed candy canes.
- Pour filling on top of the crust and spread in an even layer. Give the baking dish a few short bangs on the counter to make sure any air bubbles that are hiding rise to the top.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until the edges of the cheesecake start to pull away from the sides of the pan and the center is set but still jiggly.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 2 hours on the counter. Refrigerate overnight or for at least 8 hours.
- Slice, garnish with crushed candy canes, and and enjoy!
Keywords: easy, quick, simple, recipe, dessert, holiday, family, dinner, candy cane, sour cream, cream cheese, Oreo