This apple galette is seasonal, simple and scrumptious! Store bought crust makes this dessert quick, easy and accessible for even the most novice of home cooks. And just look how gorgeous it is!?!
What kind of apples should I use to make apple galette?
My favorite are honeycrisp but granny smith are great too! Basically you’re looking for an apple with a crisp texture that will stand up to the process of baking in the oven. So a firm, fresh apple thinly sliced (but not too thin) works best! Bon Appetit has a great post that explains in detail how to choose the right apple for baking.
Do I need to peel my apples?
No! You can certainly can but you really don’t need to! I like the added texture of the skin and prefer to save time and hassle and leave the skin on. I also like the little peek of red that shows through on the top of the galette.
Do I have to bake it in a cast iron skillet?
Of course not! You can also bake the galette on a rimmed parchment lined baking sheet. But if you have a nice cast iron pan you’ll get a beautifully crisp crust on the bottom with a cast iron skillet! You all know how much I love to use my cast iron whenever I can!!
What should I top my apple crisp with?
I like to top my galette with classic vanilla ice cream, a drizzle of caramel and a sprinkle of chopped pecans. Whipped cream would be great too. Either way something cold and creamy really compliments the warm, cinnamon flavored apples and the crispy pie crust.Print
This apple galette is seasonal, simple and scrumptious! Store bought crust makes this dessert quick, easy and accessible for even the most novice of home cooks.
- 9 inch (store bought) pie crust
- 2 large honeycrisp apples, cored and sliced into 1/4” thick slices
- juice of 1/2 a lemon
- 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch Kosher salt
- 1 egg, beaten + a splash of water
- vanilla ice cream
- caramel sauce
- toasted pecans
- Heat oven to 400 degrees. Unroll your pie crust into a 6″ cast iron skillet or onto a parchment lined sheet pan.
- Add apple slices to a large bowl and squeeze lemon juice over them. Toss to coat evenly. Then add 1/4 cup sugar, brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, all spice and salt to the bowl and use your hand to toss the apples and evenly coat them in the spice mixture.
- Dump apples into the center of the pie crust, leaving about 2 inches of space around the edges. Fold edges of crust over the apples, pleating as you fold. Brush crust with egg mixture and sprinkle remaining tablespoon of sugar over the entire galette.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until the crust is dark golden brown and the apples are soft but not mushy.
- Allow to cool for just a few minutes, then top with ice cream, caramel and toasted pecans. Slice and serve!
Check galette after 20 minutes and if you find the crust is browning too quickly, add a sheet of tin foil over it for the remainder of the bake time.
Keywords: pie, ice cream, caramel, pecan, dessert, easy, simple, quick, recipe, family, dinner