This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This quick and easy skillet lasagna is loaded with all your favorite Sunday night dinner flavors but it comes together in just 30 minutes AND all in one pan! Al dente pasta, ooey gooey cheese, and Italian sausage make this a welcomed one pan dinner on a busy weeknight.
Why you’re going to love this one pot lasagna:
- It’s quick and easy! 10 ingredients and 30 minutes to be exact! Even on the busiest of weeknights, this pasta dish is totally doable. And chances are good you’ve already got a lot of these ingredients on hand!
- It tastes like a Sunday night dinner! But it’s possible in a fraction of time. When you don’t have an hour plus to wait for my traditional (but still super easy because you don’t boil the noodles) lasagna to bake, this skillet lasagna will check all the flavor boxes without the wait!
- It cooks in ONE POT! You might have noticed that I’ve got a real affinity for one pot dinners, especially of the pasta variety. My Smoked Gouda Mac & Cheese is a staple on our monthly dinner rotation and I’ve always got the ingredients on hand for my One Pot Mushroom Stroganoff. One pot meals are my jam. And this pan is my fave – it goes from stovetop to oven to the dinner table!
How to make skillet lasagna:
Saute diced onions in oil with salt and pepper.
Add garlic and saute for another minute.
Add sausage and brown, crumbling it with a spoon as it cooks. Then add dried herbs.
Add uncooked pasta.
Add pasta sauce.
Add water and stir to combine.
Cover pot and simmer over medium to medium-low heat for 15-20 minutes, stirring every 4-5 minutes or so. At this point, you want the pasta slightly undercooked (just a little less than al dente).
Drop large spoonfuls of cottage cheese across the skillet.
Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
Cover and simmer for another 4-5 minutes or until the cheese on top is melted and pasta is cooked al dente. Garnish with fresh parsley and enjoy!
Tips for making the best skillet lasagna:
- You can substitute ricotta cheese for the cottage cheese in this recipe. I’m totally on team cottage cheese when it comes to lasagna. I know, I know – them is fightin’ words! I mean, I love ricotta too but I always need at least some cottage cheese in my homemade lasagna and this recipe is no exception! In fact, in this skillet lasagna, I chose to skip the ricotta all together and go straight for the cottage cheese – and I don’t regret it one bit!
- Feel free to use other types of pasta. Keep the noodles short cuts – like penne, rigatoni or cavatappi – but you certainly don’t have to use rotini. Just check out the cook time on whatever pasta you end up using and plan to pretty much double the cook time when you make this lasagna. Because you’re cooking the pasta in sauce, it will take longer than if you were to boil it in water.
- You can also cook the noodles ahead of time if you’re looking to get this dinner prepped and ready to go the day before. Boil the noodles according to package directions just until al dente, then assemble the lasagna as directed in the instructions below (minus the cup of water) and skip the 15-20 minutes of simmer time. You can top the cooked noodles and sauce with cheese and then simmer until heated through and the cheese is melted.
- For crispy golden brown cheese crust on this skillet lasagna, pop the pan into the oven and broil for 1-2 minutes. Keep a close eye on it as it can burn quickly. Once you see little spots of cheese turning brown, pull it out of the oven and top it with fresh chopped parsley.
If you loved this lasagna, check out these other family favorite noodle dishes:
- Creamy Tuscan Chicken Alfredo
- Baked Spaghetti and Meatballs
- One Pot Mushroom Stroganoff
- One Pot Stove Top Mac & Cheese
- Tomato & Garlic Bucatini with Burrata
This quick and easy skillet lasagna is loaded with all your favorite Sunday night dinner flavors but it comes together in just 30 minutes AND all in one pan! Al dente pasta, ooey gooey cheese and Italian sausage make this a welcomed one pan dinner on a busy weeknight.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 16 oz. spicy Italian sausage
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 16 oz. uncooked rotini pasta
- 4 cups your favorite spaghetti sauce
- 1 cup water
- 16 oz. cottage cheese
- 5 oz. Parmesan, shredded
- Kosher salt
- fresh cracked pepper
- fresh chopped parsley for garnish
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add onion along with a large pinch of salt and pepper. Cook for 4 minutes stirring frequently.
- Add garlic and cook for another minute.
- Add sausage and brown, crumbling it with a spoon as it cooks.
- Add oregano, pasta, spaghetti sauce and water. Stir to combine.
- Cover pot and simmer over medium to medium low heat for 15-20 minutes, stirring every 4-5 minutes or so. At this point you want the pasta slightly under cooked (just a little less than al dente).
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Drop large spoonfuls of cottage cheese across the skillet. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Cover and simmer for another 4-5 minutes or until the cheese on top is melted and pasta is cooked al dente. Broil for 1-2 minutes until cheese starts to get dark golden brown.
- Garnish with fresh parsley and enjoy!
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: American/Italian
Keywords: one pan lasagna, stove top lasagna, sausage lasagna, easy lasagna recipe