30 minutes and 11 simple ingredients is all it takes to get this sausage lentil soup on the dinner table at the end of a long day. Loaded with hearty, healthy, turkey sausage, lentils AND kale - this lentil soup tastes indulgent but will fuel you through til bedtime!
Why you're going to love this sausage kale soup:
- The ingredient list is short and sweet and best of all - made up of simple items. Most of them are pantry staples that you might already have on hand!
- It tastes indulgent, but it's loaded with healthy ingredients. Turkey sausage, lentils and kale make up the heartiness of this soup, giving it tons of protein and fiber. But a splash of heavy cream transforms this lentil soup into a comforting bowl of delicious that will warm you from the inside out.
- It's a great meal prep recipe! Meal prep doesn't have to be bland chicken breast and broccoli. This soup can be your healthy work lunch for the week or dinner for the family for a couple nights. The flavors just get better with time and the broth makes it super quick to reheat! Make this soup and this easy Arugula & Goat Cheese Salad and you've got lunch and dinner covered for the week!
How to make sausage lentil soup:
Add diced tomatoes.
Then add lentils.
Pour in chicken broth along with another pinch of salt and pepper.
Cover pot, turn heat up to medium high and just to bring things to a simmer.
Turn heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes or until lentils are cooked through. Add kale.
Stir until the kale has wilted into the soup.
Remove from heat and stir in cream.
Season to taste with salt and pepper. Garnish with shredded Parmesan and enjoy!
And if you're looking for a carb-loaded accompaniment, my Herb & Tomato Focaccia is REAAAAAALLY yummy dipped in a big warm bowl of this soup!
Tips for making the best sausage kale soup:
- Use your family's favorite sausage. We like spicy turkey sausage in our family. But if you prefer a more mild flavor, the Italian turkey sausage is going to give you the same flavors. Regular pork sausage would work well in this recipe also!
- If you don't have a dutch oven yet, soup season is reason enough to invest in one! You don't have to spend tons of money or get a giant one - this is my fave and the one I use for all my soup recipes. The best part is that you can cover the pot with the heavy lid and store leftovers in the fridge so you've got a meal prepped and ready to go for the week!
- Be sure to season leftover sausage lentil soup to taste with salt and pepper after reheating. As this soup sits the flavors will marry and salt and pepper will go a long way to boosting those flavors.
Serve this lentil soup with:
- A little something crunchy like these super quick and easy crostinis. You won't regret this crunchy addition to a bowl of warm soup!
- Or start the meal with my Roasted Garlic & Tomato Goat Cheese Dip.
- My personal all time favorite thing to serve with this soup is my Easy Baked Pecan Crusted Goat Cheese Salad.
If you liked this soup, you'll definitely want to try these:
- Creamy Tomato Soup
- Curry Ramen Noodle Soup
- Beer Cheese Potato Soup with Sausage
- Creamy Wild Rice Soup
- Easy Broccoli Cheese Soup
- Creamy Tuscan Tortellini Soup
Spicy Sausage, Lentil and Kale Soup
This is the best sausage and kale soup ever! Loaded with the healthy goodness of lentils and just the right amount of spice.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: American
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 19.5 oz. ground spicy turkey sausage (mild or Italian works too)
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 (15 oz.) can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup uncooked split red lentils
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 5 heaping cups chopped kale
- ½ cup heavy cream
- Kosher salt
- fresh cracked pepper
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add onion along with a pinch of salt and pepper and cook, stirring frequently for about 4 minutes.
- Add garlic and saute 1 minute, stirring frequently.
- Add turkey sausage, thyme and oregano to the pot.
- Use a wooden spoon or spatula to crumble it as it browns.
- Add diced tomatoes, lentils and chicken broth along with another pinch of salt and pepper.
- Cover pot, turn heat up to medium high and just to bring things to a simmer.
- Turn heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes or until split lentils are cooked through.
- Stir in kale.
- Remove from heat and stir in cream.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 215
- Sugar: 3.5 g
- Sodium: 191.4 mg
- Fat: 9.2 g
- Saturated Fat: 4.2 g
- Trans Fat: 0.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 24.3 g
- Fiber: 3.9 g
- Protein: 11.7 g
- Cholesterol: 19.5 mg
Keywords: sausage kale soup, lentil soup, turkey sausage soup
This post was originally published in April of 2018. It was updated in September of 2019 to include process shots, step-by-step instructions and tips for making the best lentil soup ever single time!