This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This is the best sausage and kale soup ever! Loaded with the healthy goodness of lentils and just the right amount of spice. Do you ever feel like you overthink things? Like maybe you put way too much time and energy into something that really would be better off if you’d just let it be? Or sometimes you try to make something more complex or intricate than it needs to be? Of course not, me neither.
Hah, yeah right. For me it’s my recipes and food photos. Sometimes I think they need to have 20 ingredients or they’ll be too boring and simple. I will make something, taste it 1000 times and even though it’s delicious, I will stress over whether it could be better. More salt, some acidity, a hint of heat? Let it go already! Sometimes I think I miss out on the good looking for the perfect. Have you heard that saying before? It’s really been resonating with me lately. Don’t miss out on the good looking for the perfect. And honestly, when I see a recipe with too many ingredients or something that seems too difficult or time consuming, I generally scroll on past. So why, you might ask, would I think that my recipes need to be complex and over the top? Because, I tend to overthink things!
My other obsession is getting the perfect shot. I hate to even admit it but I will sometimes spend 1-2 hours staging the scene and taking 100 shots of the same dish. Even though I know I really love the first 5 and probably don’t need to spend any more time fussing. And as you can see 4-5 is usually the sweet spot for blog pictures, so any more than that is really just overkill.
So, here’s to not overthinking things. And eating sausage and kale soup. And appreciating whole foods prepared in simple recipes that taste delicious. I think I might have stumbled across my new catchphrase…
Also, do you remember last week when I was all, “Oh, I’ve gotta get one more soup recipe in before spring arrives!” Well, spring is still here. Along with 12 inches of snow. Although I really shouldn’t complain because one year we got this much snow during the first week of May. So this is at least a couple weeks earlier. And this is a great excuse to hunker down and snuggle in with a hearty bowl of sausage and kale soup while the flakes fall and binge watch Netflix.Print
This is the best sausage and kale soup ever! Loaded with the healthy goodness of lentils and just the right amount of spice.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 19.5 oz. ground hot Italian (or mild sausage)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 (15 oz.) can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup uncooked red lentils
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 5 heaping cups chopped kale
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Kosher salt
- fresh cracked pepper
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add onion along with a pinch of salt and pepper and cook, stirring frequently for about 4 minutes.
- Add garlic and saute 1 minute, stirring frequently.
- Add turkey sausage, thyme and oregano to the pot.
- Use a wooden spoon or spatula to crumble it as it browns.
- Add diced tomatoes, lentils and chicken broth along with another pinch of salt and pepper.
- Cover pot, turn heat up to medium high and just to bring things to a simmer.
- Turn heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Stir in kale and simmer, covered, for another 5 minutes.
- At this point remove from heat, stir in cream and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Keywords: healthy, easy, quick, simple, recipe, weeknight, meal, family, dinner, lentil, spicy, meal prep