This is the best sausage and kale soup ever! Loaded with the healthy goodness of lentils and just the right amount of spice. Do you ever feel like you overthink things? Like maybe you put way too much time and energy into something that really would be better off if you’d just let it be? Or sometimes you try to make something more complex or intricate than it needs to be? Of course not, me neither.
Hah, yeah right. For me it’s my recipes and food photos. Sometimes I think they need to have 20 ingredients or they’ll be too boring and simple. I will make something, taste it 1000 times and even though it’s delicious, I will stress over whether it could be better. More salt, some acidity, a hint of heat? Let it go already! Sometimes I think I miss out on the good looking for the perfect. Have you heard that saying before? It’s really been resonating with me lately. Don’t miss out on the good looking for the perfect. And honestly, when I see a recipe with too many ingredients or something that seems too difficult or time consuming, I generally scroll on past. So why, you might ask, would I think that my recipes need to be complex and over the top? Because, I tend to overthink things!
My other obsession is getting the perfect shot. I hate to even admit it but I will sometimes spend 1-2 hours staging the scene and taking 100 shots of the same dish. Even though I know I really love the first 5 and probably don’t need to spend any more time fussing. And as you can see 4-5 is usually the sweet spot for blog pictures, so any more than that is really just overkill.
So, here’s to not overthinking things. And eating sausage and kale soup. And appreciating whole foods prepared in simple recipes that taste delicious. I think I might have stumbled across my new catchphrase…
Also, do you remember last week when I was all, “Oh, I’ve gotta get one more soup recipe in before spring arrives!” Well, spring is still here. Along with 12 inches of snow. Although I really shouldn’t complain because one year we got this much snow during the first week of May. So this is at least a couple weeks earlier. And this is a great excuse to hunker down and snuggle in with a hearty bowl of sausage and kale soup while the flakes fall and binge watch Netflix.Print
This is the best sausage and kale soup ever! Loaded with the healthy goodness of lentils and just the right amount of spice.
- 12 oz. ground hot Italian (or mild sausage)
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (12 oz.) can of your favorite beer
- 1 cup uncooked red lentils
- 1 (15 oz.) can diced tomatoes
- 32 oz. chicken stock
- 1 cup water
- 5 heaping cups chopped kale
- Kosher salt
- fresh cracked pepper
- optional: 1/2 cup heavy cream
- In a large pot over medium heat, brown sausage, using a spatula crumble until cooked through.
- Add onion and saute about 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add garlic and saute 1 minute, stirring frequently. Pour in beer to deglaze the pot and scrape all those yummy bits off the bottom.
- Then add lentils, tomatoes, chicken stock and water. Stir to combine.
- Cover pot, turn heat up just to bring things to a simmer, then simmer on low for 15 minutes. Stir in kale and simmer, covered, for another 5 minutes.
- At this point remove from heat, stir in cream if desired and serve!
Keywords: healthy, easy, quick, simple, recipe, weeknight, meal, family, dinner, lentil, spicy, meal prep