30 minute meal alert! The combination of stewed tomatoes and smooth, creamy coconut milk combined with tender, flaky cod will ignite your taste buds! If you’ve never curried your cod, you’re not living your best life!
This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase I may make a commission. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
How to make Coconut Curried Cod:
First you’ll saute onion and garlic in a bit of olive oil. I like to use my Enameled Cast Iron Pan for this dish because it’s the perfect size to hold everything! Then add grape tomatoes and curry powder.
Add veggie stock and coconut milk.
Stir to combine, cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Nestle cod fillet into the curried tomatoes and cover with sauce.
Cover pot and poach fish in the curry cooking liquid for 7-10 minutes or until it flakes easily.
Finish the dish with a squeeze of lime juice and fresh chopped cilantro and dinner is served!
Why you’re going to love this coconut curried cod:
- If you like curry you are going to LOVE LOVE LOVE this recipe. If you like fish, you are also going to be head over heels for this dish! The flavors phenomenal and the cod cooks up perfectly tender and flaky as it infuses with all your favorite curry flavors. If you’re mouth isn’t watering yet, you should be concerned!
- It’s unexpected. I’ve scoured the internet and have yet to find something quite like this recipe. It’s one of my favorites to serve when we have friends over for dinner, because most have never had anything similar and they are always super impressed with it!
- It’s SO easy. If you haven’t observed the running theme of Midwest Foodie, I feature recipes that are SUPER easy to make. This recipe takes just 5 MINUTES to prep!! On top of that – it all cooks in ONE PAN!
What to serve with Curried Cod:
- This dish has so much flavor that you can really keep the accompaniments very simple. I like to serve this curried fish dish with naan and white or brown rice.
- And of course I like to garnish with plenty of fresh chopped cilantro and serve it with a few lime wedges so folks can add acidity to their taste.
Tips for making the best tomato coconut cod:
- Cod is great in this recipe but any mild white fish will work! Grouper, mahi mahi, pollack, or even tilapia would all work in place of cod.
- Season. Season. Season. And then season some more! This dish is SO simple! And with just 10 ingredients, it’s really important to adequately season with salt and pepper to bring out the flavors of the simple ingredient list.
- Trust your gut on the cook time for the fish. The easiest way to tell if fish is cooked through is to test it with a fork. Gently poke the thickest part of the fish with a fork and twist the fork a bit. If the fish flakes easily, it is done! If the fish does not flake easily, give it a little more simmer time.
Shop this post:
Click the links below to find the tools I used (and highly recommend) for making this recipe!
- Enameled Cast Iron Casserole Pan
- Glass Measuring Cups
- Italian Olive Wood Spoon
- Small White Ingredient Bowls
- Long Handle Measuring Spoons
Other curry favorites you’ll love:
- Vegan Curry Ramen Noodles
- Vegan Curry Lentil Soup
- Curry Chicken Meatballs
- Slow Cooker Vegan Curry
- Curried Squash Soup
Did you make this recipe? Please leave a review!!
If you made this recipe I’d love to hear how it turned out! Feel free to leave a rating and comment below. I love hearing from you guys and respond to each and every comment that I receive! Don’t forget to follow me on Instagram, Facebook and Pinterest for the all latest recipes and a sneak peek at the behind the scenes adventures on Midwest Foodie!Print
The combination of stewed tomatoes and smooth, creamy coconut milk combined with tender, flaky cod will ignite your taste buds!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1.5 tablespoons curry powder
- 2 pints cherry or grape tomatoes
- 1 cup veggie stock
- 1 can full fat coconut milk
- 1 pound fresh cod
- 1/2 cup freshly chopped cilantro + more for garnish
- 1 tablespoon fresh squeezed lime juice
- Kosher salt
- fresh cracked pepper
- Heat olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat. A wide pan with at least 2″ high sides is ideal.
- Add onion along with a pinch of salt and pepper and cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add garlic and cook for another minute, stirring frequently.
- Add grape tomatoes, curry powder, veggie broth, coconut milk and a big pinch of salt and pepper.
- Cover with a tight fitting lid, turn heat up a bit and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add cod to the pan, nestling it into the sauce. Cover and simmer for another 7-10 minutes or until the fish is completely cooked through and flakes easily.
- Stir fresh chopped cilantro and lime juice in to the curry.
- Garnish with a little more chopped cilantro and enjoy!
Cod is great in this recipe, but any mild white fish will work! Grouper, mahi mahi, pollack, or even tilapia would all work in place of cod.
Season. Season. Season. And then season some more! This dish is SO simple! And with just 10 ingredients, it’s really important to adequately season with salt and pepper to bring out the flavors of the simple ingredient list.
Trust your gut on the cook time for the fish. The easiest way to tell if fish is cooked through is to test it with a fork. Gently poke the thickest part of the fish with a fork and twist the fork a bit. If the fish flakes easily, it is done! If the fish does not flake easily, give it a little more simmer time.
Keywords: curried fish, fish curry, cod curry, curry cod, cod soup, curry soup, coconut curry, tomato curry