This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This creamy vegan white bean and kale soup comes together in less than 30 minutes. It’s the perfect quick and easy dinner when you’re looking for something hearty, healthy, and satisfying!
Why you’re going to love this white bean soup:
- It’s super quick and easy! We are talking 25 minutes from the stovetop to your dining room table! Canned beans, canned coconut milk, and chopped kale make this creamy, dreamy vegan soup possible on even the busiest of weeknights. A classic mirepoix gets a quick saute and then everything goes in the pot to simmer together.
- It’s filled with veggies but also very hearty and satisfying! This soup is LOADED with vegetables and beans but don’t let that fool you into thinking that it’s not going to fill you up and fuel you through the day! The coconut milk in this soup works in combination with the vegetables to give you an energizing meal that will leave you satisfied.
- It’s the perfect meal prep recipe and it just gets better with time! Make a pot of this on Sunday afternoon and enjoy it for dinner all week! It reheats beautifully making it a meal prep lover’s dream.
How to make vegan white bean soup:
It couldn’t be easier! Just look at the simple ingredients that are included in this recipe:
- chopped fresh kale
- canned white beans
- creamy full-fat coconut milk (canned)
- dried herbs + salt and pepper
- olive oil
- balsamic vinegar
- garlic, onion, carrot, celery
- veggie broth
Heat oil in a large pot over medium high heat. Add onion, celery, and carrots. Cook, stirring frequently for 8 minutes.
Add garlic, oregano, thyme, sage and a large pinch of salt and pepper.
Cook for 1 minute, stirring frequently.
Add vegetable broth to the pot.
Add white beans.
Add coconut milk.
Stir to combine.
If desired, remove about two cups of the soup mixture and blend in a high speed blender. Return blended soup to the pot and bring everything to a simmer over medium high heat.
Turn heat to medium and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in kale and vinegar.
Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Garnish with homemade croutons and fresh parsley and enjoy!
Frequently asked questions:
- Can I use another bean instead of white beans?
- Sure! I LOVE LOVE LOVE white beans (also called cannellini beans or Great Northern beans) but if you’re not a fan, feel free to switch out the bean!
- Good substitutes for white beans are:
- lima beans
- kidney beans
- pinto beans
- fava beans
- garbanzo beans
- navy beans
- I’d recommend using the canned (already cooked) version of whatever bean you choose and keep the ratios the same!
- Can I use an immersion blender instead of a high speed blender?
- You bet! Use an immersion blender to blend part or all of the soup for a creamier texture.
- Do I have to blend the soup?
- No way! The flavors of this white bean soup will be just as delicious whether you blend it or not.
- Blending part or all of the soup just gives it a creamier, smoother texture. I like to blend half of it so that it has the texture of a chowder. It’s got that creamy, smooth broth but also has large pieces of veggies and whole beans.
Tips for making the best vegan white bean and kale soup:
- If you’re looking for a short cut, most grocery stores now carry a pre-made mirepoix (diced onion, carrot and celery mixture)! You’ll want about 3 cups total of this diced mixture so plan accordingly as the mirepoix seems to come in varying amounts depending on the store. This will save you at least 5 minutes of prep time!
- As this soup sits in the fridge, it will thicken up a bit. I’d recommend adding a splash of broth, coconut milk, heavy cream or water to loosen it up before reheating. Be sure to also season to taste with salt and pepper after reheating each time.
- The coconut milk is totally optional in this recipe. If you prefer a more brothy and less creamy soup, feel free to leave out the coconut milk. Also, don’t worry – the flavor of the coconut milk is really masked by the mirepoix and the myriad of dried herbs. It will impart just a tiny hint of sweetness, but you won’t actually taste the coconut flavor.
- If you’re not worried about this recipe being vegan you can substitute heavy cream in place of the coconut milk. I’d use about 1/2 – 3/4 cup of heavy cream in place of the 15 oz. can of coconut milk.
If you liked this creamy white bean soup, check out these other family favorite soups:
- Vegan Curry Ramen Noodle Soup
- Beer Cheese Soup with Sausage and Potato
- Vegan Creamy Tomato Soup
- Creamy Roasted Potato Soup
- 30 Minute Chicken Tortilla Soup
This creamy vegan white bean and kale soup comes together in less than 30 minutes. It’s the perfect quick and easy dinner when you’re looking for something hearty and healthy!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 cup sliced carrot
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 3 (15 oz.) cans white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 oz.) can full fat coconut milk
- 3 cups chopped kale
- 1 tablespoon vinegar (apple cider, white wine, red wine, balsamic)
- Kosher salt
- fresh cracked parsley
- homemade croutons
- fresh chopped parsley
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium high heat.
- Add onion, celery and carrots. Cook, stirring frequently for 8 minutes.
- Add garlic, oregano, thyme, sage and a large pinch of salt and pepper. Cook for 1 minute, stirring frequently.
- Add veggie broth, white beans, and coconut milk to the pot. Stir to combine.
- If desired, remove about two cups of the soup mixture and blend in a high speed blender.
- Return blended soup to the pot and bring everything to a simmer over medium high heat.
- Turn heat to medium and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Stir in kale and vinegar.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Garnish with croutons and fresh parsley and enjoy!
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: cannellini bean soup, vegan white bean soup, great northern bean soup, northern bean soup