This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This creamy vegan white bean and kale soup comes together in less than 30 minutes with pantry ingredients and fresh veggies. It's the perfect quick and easy dinner when you're looking for something hearty and satisfying!
You Will Love This
- It's super quick and easy! We are talking 25 minutes from the stovetop to your dining room table! Canned beans, canned coconut milk, and chopped kale make this creamy, dreamy vegan recipe possible on even the busiest of weeknights. A classic mirepoix gets a quick sauté and then everything goes in the pot to simmer together.
- It's filled with veggies but also very hearty and satisfying! This kale white bean soup is LOADED with vegetables and beans, but don't let that fool you into thinking that it's not going to fill you up and fuel you through the day! The coconut milk in this soup works in combination with the vegetables to give you an energizing meal that will leave you satisfied. Looking for more easy soup recipes - check these out!
- It's the perfect meal prep recipe and it just gets better with time! Make a pot of this on Sunday afternoon and enjoy it for dinner all week! It reheats beautifully making it a meal prep lover's dream. And if you need more vegan meal prep, check out this chili or this stew!
Ingredients and Substitutions
- Carrot, Onion, Celery — AKA mirepoix — This is what gives this soup it's delicious, aromatic flavor base. If you're looking for a short cut, most grocery stores now carry a pre-made mirepoix (diced onion, carrot and celery mixture)! You'll want about 3 cups total of this diced mixture so plan accordingly as the mirepoix seems to come in varying amounts depending on the store. This will save you at least 5 minutes of prep time!
- Garlic — Mincing garlic yourself releases all those oils for a super fresh, bright flavor, but I also totally get that sometimes you just need that jar. Sub ½ teaspoon of pre-minced garlic, or ⅛ teaspoon garlic powder, for each clove.
- Dried Oregano, Thyme, and Sage — If you're out of any of these herbs just substitute more of one of the others, or use Italian seasoning in place of all three.
- Veggie Broth — If you’re not worried about this soup being vegan, you can use chicken broth instead of veggie broth.
- White Beans — Use whichever white beans you prefer, or a mixture of three! Cannellini, Great Northern, baby lima, and even Navy beans will work well in this soup.
- Coconut Milk — Full-fat canned coconut milk is the magic in this creamy vegan soup and it does not make the soup taste like coconut. If you’re not worried about this being vegan, go ahead and use heavy cream instead. I'd use about ½ to ¾ cup of heavy cream in place of the 15 oz. can of coconut milk.
- Kale — Did you know there are lots of different kinds of kale? Curly kale is the most common and will work fine in this white bean soup. Baby spinach will work in its place.
Heat oil in a large pot over medium high heat. Add onion, celery, and carrots. Cook, stirring frequently for 8 minutes.
Add garlic, oregano, thyme, sage and a large pinch of salt and pepper.
Cook for 1 minute, stirring frequently.
Add vegetable broth to the pot.
Add white beans.
Add coconut milk.
Stir to combine.
If desired, remove about two cups of the soup mixture and blend in a high speed blender. Return blended soup to the pot and bring everything to a simmer over medium high heat.
Turn heat to medium and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in kale and vinegar.
Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Garnish with homemade croutons and fresh parsley and enjoy!
- As this soup sits in the fridge, it will thicken up a bit. I'd recommend adding a splash of broth, coconut milk, heavy cream or water to loosen it up before reheating. Be sure to also season to taste with salt and pepper after reheating each time.
- The coconut milk is totally optional in this recipe. If you prefer a more brothy and less creamy soup, feel free to leave out the coconut milk. Also, don't worry - the flavor of the coconut milk is really masked by the mirepoix and the myriad of dried herbs. It will impart just a tiny hint of sweetness, but you won't actually taste the coconut flavor.
White bean soup is a comforting classic, and so simple to make from scratch. The secret is to just add ingredients to the pot in the right order: veggies, then herbs and spices, then broth/cream and beans, then greens. A handful of pantry ingredients and fresh veggies is all it takes to make a delicious white bean soup from scratch!
Great Northern beans are a type of white bean. The term "white beans" is an umbrella terms which refers to four varieties of beans including Great Northern, cannellini, Navy, and baby lima beans. You can use any white bean you have on hand for this easy soup recipe!
The secret to this creamy is full-fat canned coconut milk! It gives the soup a creamy, dreamy texture while still keeping it totally dairy free. Blending a portion of the soup also adds to the smooth, rich, creamy texture too!
Easy Soup Recipes
- Vegan Curry Ramen Noodle Soup
- Vegan Olive Garden Gnocchi Soup
- Vegan White Bean Stew
- Vegan Lentil Mushroom Stew
- Vegan Creamy Tomato Soup
- Vegan White Chickpea Chili