This creamy vegan mushroom soup recipe comes together in 30 minutes and all in one pot with no cashew cream! It's the perfect dairy-free, nut-free meal prep recipe or a quick and easy weeknight dinner that your family will love!
You Will Love This
- This vegan cream of mushroom soup recipe takes just 30 minutes from start to finish which makes it one of my favorite simple meals to throw together for an easy dinner. The ingredient list is short and sweet too so I usually just have to grab the fresh mushrooms from the store and I've got everything else on hand!
- If you loved this easy mushroom soup recipe, be sure to check out my One Pot Creamy Vegetable Soup, Easy Creamy Vegan Tomato Soup, or this Vegan Potato Leek Soup.
- Yellow Onion - You can use yellow or white onion for this mushroom soup, but I prefer not to use red onion.
- Garlic - Freshly minced garlic is going to give you the best flavor, but you can substitute garlic powder if that's all you've got on hand. I'd recommend ½-3/4 of a teaspoon in place of the fresh garlic in this recipe.
- Baby Bella Mushrooms - Also called cremini mushrooms, or brown mushrooms, baby Bellas are my favorite for this soup but you can use your favorite kind of mushroom as well! Shitake or white button mushrooms would be a good substitute. Just be sure to slice the mushrooms into uniform size pieces so that the mushrooms cook evenly.
- Herbs - I love the trio of dried thyme, dried sage, and dried oregano for this cream of mushroom soup. You could use Italian seasoning in place of these herbs as well.
- Balsamic Vinegar - The balsamic vinegar is going to add a delicious layer of umami and deepen the flavor of the earthy mushrooms. If you don't have balsamic vinegar on hand, you could use soy sauce or tamari in its place but it will alter the flavor a bit.
- Vegetable Broth - You could also use mushroom broth or vegetable stock in place of the veggie broth in this soup recipe. I like to use low sodium broth so I can adjust the sodium levels myself.
- Full-Fat Canned Coconut Milk - Full-fat coconut milk comes in a can and will be typically be found in the Asian food aisle at the grocery store. All brands of coconut milk are slightly different. This is our family's favorite coconut milk - try a few to find out what your favorite is! Don't worry though; you will not taste the coconut flavor at all. Between the simmering herbs, fresh mushrooms, and balsamic, the coconut milk is going to soak up all those flavors and just lend a delicious creaminess without the coconut flavor. Cashew milk or almond milk are not going to give you the same creaminess as full-fat coconut milk.
- Corn Starch - The corn starch slurry combines with the coconut milk to make this vegan mushroom soup super creamy without the use of cashew cream. Another plus, corn starch keeps this mushroom soup naturally gluten-free!
Sauté onions in olive oil. Then add garlic and herbs.
Cook for a minute or so, then deglaze the pot with balsamic vinegar.
Add mushrooms and a large pinch of Kosher salt and black pepper.
Cook for about 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add the corn starch slurry to the pot and bring to a simmer.
Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in fresh parsley and season to taste with salt and pepper. Garnish each bowl with a drizzle of coconut milk and a sprinkle of parsley.
- If you're looking to save prep time when you make this mushroom soup, grab pre-sliced mushrooms from the grocery store!
- If you prefer a really creamy soup with no large slices of mushroom, feel free to use an immersion blender or a high speed blender to blend the soup together. This will give you a smooth, creamy soup with all the same delicious mushroom flavors.
- If you prefer a more brothy soup, omit the corn starch slurry and your mushroom soup will have a thinner consistency.
- If you don't have corn starch on hand, skip the slurry and instead add 3 tablespoons of all-purpose flour after you sauté the garlic and dried herbs. Cook the flour for about a minute, stirring frequently, then deglaze the pot with balsamic vinegar as instructed in the recipe card and follow the remaining instructions. This will help to thicken the soup as it cooks.
- If you want to add some extra protein and fiber to your creamy mushroom soup, feel free to stir in canned garbanzo beans or cooked quinoa!
- While this soup recipe wasn't written as a substitute for canned condensed cream of mushroom soup (the kind that goes in green bean casserole - or doesn't if you're following my easy recipe!) it is a super creamy mushroom soup recipe and if you gently simmer it and reduce it down it could be a great substitute for those cans of condensed soup!
This quick and easy creamy mushroom soup is made with plenty of sliced baby Bella mushrooms, diced onion, dried herbs, fresh garlic, balsamic vinegar, veggie broth, coconut milk, and a simple corn starch slurry. The best part about this soup is that it can all be made in one pot and is loaded with tons of flavor.
The secret to a delicious tasting creamy mushroom soup is layering in a variety of flavors - like onion, garlic, dried herbs - and using umami flavors - like balsamic vinegar - to boost the natural flavors of the cremini mushrooms. Simmer it all together with creamy coconut milk and broth and you've got an easy mushroom soup that's bursting with flavor!
In this easy mushroom soup recipe, we use a combination of full-fat coconut milk and a quick corn starch slurry to get that creamy, dreamy texture that makes this soup downright crave-able! Alternately, you can add flour while you sauté the veggies to thicken it up that way!
Make Ahead, Storage, Freezing, and Reheating
- Make-Ahead: This creamy vegan mushroom soup is a delicious make ahead meal! The flavors just get better with time so feel free to make a big batch over the weekend and enjoy it for lunch all week!
- Storage: Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week.
- Freezing: Store soup in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge before reheating.
- Reheating: Reheat mushroom soup in a saucepan on the stove over medium heat. Stir frequently until warmed through. Season to taste with salt and pepper after reheating.
Serve Mushroom Soup With
- Easy 5 Minute Garlic Bread
- Cheesy Olive Garlic Bread
- Tomato Mozzarella Garlic Bread
- Cucumber Tomato Onion Salad
- Simple Green Salad with Beets and Feta
More Easy Soup Recipes
Leave a comment below!
Liked the recipe?
Leave a comment below!
Made this dish?
Leave a comment and star rating below!
30 Minute One Pot Creamy Vegan Mushroom Soup
This creamy vegan mushroom soup comes together in 30 minutes and all in one pot with no cashew cream! It's perfect for meal prep or a quick and easy weeknight meal that your family will love!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Stove
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegan
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 16 oz. baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 32 oz. vegetable broth
- 1 (13.5 oz.) can full-fat coconut milk
- 3 tablespoons corn starch
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped parsley + more for garnish
- Kosher salt
- fresh cracked pepper
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion along with a couple pinches of salt and pepper. Cook for 4 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add garlic, sage, thyme, and a pinch of salt and pepper and cook for 1 minute.
- Add balsamic vinegar and deglaze the pot, scraping all the yummy bits off the bottom of the pot.
- Then add mushrooms and a large pinch of salt and pepper.
- Cook for about 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Then add veggie broth and coconut milk. Reserve some coconut milk for garnish if desired.
- Dissolve cornstarch in 3 tablespoons of COLD water and add the slurry to the pot as well. Add a couple pinches of salt and pepper.
- Stir to combine and bring to a simmer over medium high heat
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in fresh parsley and season to taste with salt and pepper. Garnish each bowl with a drizzle of coconut milk and a sprinkle of fresh parsley if desired.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 211
- Sugar: 3.9 g
- Sodium: 369.8 mg
- Fat: 17 g
- Saturated Fat: 13.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 14.8 g
- Fiber: 1.3 g
- Protein: 3.8 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: vegan cream of mushroom soup, dairy free cream of mushroom soup, mushroom soup with coconut milk