This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This creamy vegan wild rice soup is loaded with all the classic, comforting flavors minus the dairy! There’s just enough creaminess that it feels indulgent but it’s also loaded with veggies, so you can feel good about feeding it to your family!
Why you’re going to love this soup:
- It’s the perfect Sunday night dinner! My ideal Sunday afternoon is spent in the kitchen working on something yummy for dinner! This soup takes less than an hour from start to finish and requires minimal prep work which makes it one of my favorite Sunday night dinners. Leftovers reheat beautifully also, so we can enjoy it all week!
- It’s loaded with comforting flavors! Sage is one of my faaaaaaavorite dried herbs and for me it just screams WILD RICE SOUP. Dried sage gives this vegan soup it’s signature, homemade, nostalgic flavor – along with the classic trio of sauteed onion, celery and carrots.
- It’s totally vegan! This soup is a great option for vegans, vegetarians or anyone with dietary restrictions that prevent them from eating dairy. But it tastes so delicious that carnivores will eat it right up too!
How to make this soup:
Cook for about 6 minutes, stirring occasionally. This wooden spoon is my fave stirrer in my kitchen!
Add garlic and cook for another minute.
Pour in the white wine to deglaze the pot and scrape all those yummy bits off the bottom.
Then add a wild rice blend (this brand works best!).
Pour in veggie broth.
Dissolve cornstarch in cold water and add the slurry to the pot as well. Add salt and pepper to taste and stir to combine.
Cover and simmer on low heat for 30-40 minutes or until the rice is cooked. Stir every 10 minutes or so to ensure the rice doesn’t stick to the bottom.
Remove from heat and stir in coconut milk.
Add parsley along with another pinch of salt and pepper to taste and serve!
Tips for making this recipe:
- Always dissolve corn starch in cold water before adding it to any dish. Dissolving it in hot water (or any hot liquid) will make it lumpy. It’s important to first dissolve it in cold water and then add it to your hot soup.
- Be sure to keep stirring the soup while it’s simmering. The rice is reallllly going to want to stick to the bottom of the dutch oven. So keep it moving with a quick stir every 10 minutes or so!
- Use full fat coconut milk for this recipe! Not the low fat or light stuff. You’re only using half a cup so don’t fret about the calorie count. The coconut milk is what’s going to give it that silky smooth, creamy texture. Also, you won’t even taste the coconut in this soup. The herbs completely take over and all you’ll taste is delicious!
Frequently asked questions:
- Can you taste the coconut milk in this soup?
- Nope. In fact, I served this at a dinner party and literally all 14 guests could not believe that there was coconut milk in it! The herbs and veggies totally take over and you won’t taste a hint of coconut at all. It really adds to the creamy texture though!
- Can I add chicken to this soup?
- Of course! Obviously it won’t be vegan then. But if you’re not worried about dietary restrictions then by all means add a some diced grilled chicken breast or shredded rotisserie chicken!
- Does this wild rice soup reheat well?
- Yes! I recommend adding a splash of dairy free milk (or regular milk) to loosen it up a bit and then heating in a saucepan over medium heat for about 5-10 minutes or until heated through. Don’t forget to season to taste with salt and pepper after reheating as it will lose a bit of it’s flavor as it sits.
Creamy Vegan Wild Rice Soup
Just enough creaminess to feel indulgent and luxurious but loaded with veggies, so you can feel good about feeding it to your family.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: American
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 large onion, diced
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 16 oz. baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- 2.5 tablespoons dried sage
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1.5 cups uncooked wild rice and brown rice blend
- 64 oz. vegetable broth
- 3 tablespoons corn starch
- 1/2 cup full fat coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
- Kosher salt
- fresh cracked pepper
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium high heat. Add onion, celery, carrots, mushrooms, sage, rosemary, garlic powder and a large pinch of salt and pepper.
- Cook for about 6 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add garlic and cook for another minute.
- Pour in the white wine to deglaze the pot and scrape all those yummy bits off the bottom.
- Then add rice and veggie broth.
- Dissolve cornstarch in 3 tablespoons COLD water and add the slurry to the pot as well. Add salt and pepper to taste and stir to combine.
- Cover and simmer on low heat for 30-40 minutes or until the rice is cooked.
- Stir every 10 minutes or so to ensure the rice doesn’t stick to the bottom.
- Remove from heat and stir in coconut milk and parsley, add more salt and pepper to taste and serve!
Keywords: vegetarian wild rice soup, wild rice soup no cream, easy wild rice soup recipe,
This post was originally published in December of 2017. It was updated in September of 2019 to include process shots, step-by-step instructions and tips for making the best wild rice soup every single time!