Quick and easy homemade baked chicken meatballs simmered in a flavorful Thai inspired peanut sauce. Serve with rice and sauteed veggies for dinner or with toothpicks as a tasty appetizer at your next party!
*This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you!
What are Thai chicken meatballs?
These Thai inspired chicken meatballs are hand rolled, homemade and loaded with fresh flavor! They’re baked in the oven and then simmered in a savory Thai peanut sauce.
Ingredients that are typically used in Thai cooking include garlic, ginger, lime, soy sauce and coconut milk. The result is a hearty dish packed with forward flavors that will leave your taste buds singing!
Don’t be scared off by the wide range of ingredients or some flavors you perhaps haven’t tried before. The combination of ingredients works so well together and it’s nice to have another meatball recipe in your arsenal!
How do I make Thai chicken meatballs in peanut sauce?
You’ll start by combining the ground chicken with breadcrumbs, garlic, green onion, cilantro, red curry paste, an egg, salt and pepper. Then you’ll use a cookie scoop to make uniform balls, give them a quick roll and bake them on a sheet pan topped with a cooling rack.
While the meatballs are cooking you’ll combine coconut milk, peanut butter, curry paste, soy sauce, rice vinegar, sesame oil, ginger and salt and pepper and simmer it over medium heat.
Then the meatballs go for a dip in the flavorful sauce, which you’ll finish with a splash of lime juice and handful fresh chopped cilantro. And the best part is your meatballs can go right from the saute pan to table!
I like to serve my Thai chicken meatballs with rice and sauteed veggies, but they’d be a great appetizer by themselves; just serve with toothpicks!
Can I use a different protein other than chicken?
Of course! Chicken has a nice delicate flavor that compliments the peanut sauce well, but turkey or even ground beef would be a great option too! Use whatever you’ve got in the fridge; just make sure it’s ground meat.
Can I make Thai peanut chicken meatballs ahead of time?
Yes! These meatballs are super easy to make ahead of time! As with most of my recipes, I like to make a big batch over the weekend and then enjoy them all week for lunch or dinner. If you’re planning to make them ahead for a party or family dinner, follow the suggestions below.
Make ahead and refrigerate: You can mix the meatball ingredients ahead of time and store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 1 week. Then when you’re ready to cook, roll the meatballs and bake, then get working on the sauce.
Make ahead, cook and refrigerate: Follow the directions in the recipe below and store cooked meatballs and sauce in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 1 week. When you’re ready to eat, transfer meatballs and sauce to a large pot on the stove over medium heat. Heat, stirring occasionally until meatballs are heated through. You could also heat the meatballs and sauce on high in a slow cooker for 20 minutes or until heated through.
Make ahead and freeze: Follow the instructions in the recipe below for cooking the meatballs, but wait to cook the sauce until the day you plan to eat. Let meatballs cool, then store in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 2 months. Allow them to thaw overnight in the fridge the day before cooking. Make sauce according to recipe directions and simmer thawed meatballs in the sauce until they are heated through.
What should I serve with Thai chicken meatballs?
This one is totally up to you! When I’m making this meal for dinner I like to serve it with rice and sauteed veggies. But it’s also the perfect party appetizer! For the appetizer option, I’d serve the meatballs on a rimmed serving platter and drizzle them with sauce before serving, then garnish with fresh chopped cilantro. I like to serve my meatballs with toothpicks also!
Quick and easy homemade baked chicken meatballs simmered in a flavorful inspired peanut sauce. Serve with rice and sauteed veggies for dinner or with toothpicks as a tasty appetizer at your next party!
- 1 lb. ground chicken
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 1 teaspoon red curry paste
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- a couple pinches Kosher salt
- pinch fresh cracked pepper
- 1 can full fat coconut milk
- 4 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1/2 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2-3 teaspoons red curry paste
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- juice of 2 limes
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped cilantro + more for garnish
- a couple pinches Kosher salt
- pinch fresh cracked pepper
- Heat oven to 450 degrees and line baking sheet with foil or parchment paper, then place a cooling rack on top of the liner.
- In a large bowl use hands to mix all meatball ingredients until well combined.
- Use a tablespoon cookie scoop to scoop about 28 meatballs. Coat your hands in a thin layer of olive oil and roll the meatballs between your palms to make them uniformly round. The oil will keep the meatballs from sticking to your hands. Place them on the cooking rack (on the baking sheet) about an inch apart.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- While the meatballs are baking, heat a large pan over medium heat and add all sauce ingredients except lime and cilantro. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add baked meatballs to the pan and simmer over medium low heat for about 5 minutes or until everything is heated through.
- Just before serving, stir in lime juice and chopped cilantro. Then garnish with a sprinkle of fresh chopped cilantro and enjoy!
Keywords: healthy, easy, quick, simple, recipe, family, dinner, weeknight, meal, meal prep, cilantro, peanut, savory, lime, curry paste