Better than any restaurant spinach artichoke dip (I promise!), this simple appetizer has just 7 ingredients and takes less than 45 minutes from start to finish! And there’s NO MAYO!
How to make spinach and artichoke dip:
In a large bowl, combine spinach, artichoke hearts, sour cream, cream cheese, garlic, Parmesan, half the mozzarella and a large pinch of salt and pepper. Mix until well combined.
Transfer to a baking dish. Cover with remaining mozzarella cheese.
Bake until golden brown and bubbly. Garnish with fresh chopped parsley and serve with sliced French baguette and crispy crackers.
Can I use frozen spinach in this artichoke dip?
No – please don’t. Just use fresh spinach! It will be cheapest when you buy it in bulk in the produce section of your grocery store, but it also comes pre-washed in sealed plastic bags as well.
Honestly, I’ve never used frozen spinach for anything and I probably never will. The fresh spinach is going to release just the right amount of moisture to keep your dip creamy. I suspect frozen spinach might leave you with watery mess.
Can I make spinach and artichoke dip ahead of time?
Yes! This dip does great when made ahead of time, which makes it a very convenient option for your next party or family get together! Mix everything together, transfer it to a baking dish and pop it in the fridge until it’s time to party.
An hour before baking, set it out on the counter to come to room temperature. Then just before your guests arrive, throw it in the oven and voila! You’ve got a hot, bubbly, cheesy, melty, perfectly dip-able appetizer ready to go!
Why you’re going to love this spinach dip:
- It is hands down the best spinach dip you’ll ever eat. It blows any restaurant spinach dip out of the water. And I know because I’ve tried them all. I was on a mission for many years to find the best spinach dip when we went out to eat and I never found it. You know that saying, “If you want something done right, you have to do it yourself“. Yep, it’s true. And I did it right with this spinach dip.
- It’s SO easy to make! If you can stir ingredients together, you can make this dip! No fancy kitchen skills or funky gadgets required!
- The ingredient list is short, sweet and simple. No fancy cheeses or exotic ingredients. Just simple, straight forward ingredients you’ll be able to find at any grocery store.
- It’s best served with a chilled glass of white wine or a full bodied red wine. Looking for a new ladies night appetizer? This is it! Your friends are going to love it so much you might want to think about making a double batch. Cheers!
Tips for making this recipe:
- Use fresh spinach. Fresh ingredients always taste better and this recipe is no exception! Fresh spinach has just the right amount of moisture and will wilt perfectly into the dip.
- Use fresh garlic. Similar to the spinach, fresh garlic will be best in this recipe! Skip the minced, jarred garlic and mince your own cloves!
- Make sure all ingredients are at room temperature. Room temp cream cheese and sour cream will make this dip much easier to mix up and will also help it bake more evenly.
Other easy appetizers you’ll love:
- Roasted Garlic and Goat Cheese Dip
- Easy Mediterranean Dip
- Olive Oil & Balsamic Vinegar Bread Dip
- Greek Potato Wedges with Tzatziki Sauce
- 10 Best Appetizers for the Holidays
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE? LEAVE A REVIEW!
If you made this recipe I’d love to hear how it turned out! Feel free to leave a rating and comment below. I love hearing from you guys and respond to each and every comment that I receive! Don’t forget to follow me on Instagram, Facebook and Pinterest for the all latest recipes and a sneak peek at the behind the scenes adventures on Midwest Foodie!Print
Comfort food at it’s finest, this dip is simple and delicious. Snuggle in with this warm, inviting family favorite tonight!
- 5 oz. fresh spinach
- 8 oz. full fat sour cream, room temperature
- 8 oz. full fat cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 (15 oz.) can artichoke hearts, roughly chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 12 oz. shredded mozzarella, divided
- 5 oz. shredded Parmesan
- Kosher salt
- fresh cracked pepper
- sliced French baguette
- chilled white wine
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Add fresh spinach to a large bowl. On top of the spinach add sour cream, cream cheese, artichoke hearts, garlic, half the mozzarella, Parmesan and a few hearty pinches of salt along with a pinch of pepper. Mix until well combined.
- Transfer to a 9×9 baking dish or medium sized cast iron skillet. Spread in an even layer and top with remaining mozzarella.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes. Then broil for 1-2 minutes or until the mozzarella on top starts to get dark golden brown.
- Serve with sliced French baguette and chilled white wine. Enjoy!
Use fresh spinach. Fresh ingredients always taste better and this recipe is no exception! Fresh spinach has just the right amount of moisture and will wilt perfectly into the dip.
Use fresh garlic. Similar to the spinach, fresh garlic will be best in this recipe! Skip the minced, jarred garlic and mince your own cloves!
Make sure all ingredients are at room temperature. Room temp cream cheese and sour cream will make this dip much easier to mix up and will also help it bake more evenly.
Keywords: spinach dip, artichoke dip, cheese dip, cream cheese dip, vegetarian dip
This recipe was originally published in September of 2018. It was updated in March of 2019 to include process shots, detailed instructions and tips for making the best spinach and artichoke dip every single time!