Sometimes you want a kale salad or a flavorful baked salmon dish. And sometimes you want a loaded baked potato flatbread piled high with sliced potatoes, onions, garlic, cheese, bacon, sour cream and green onions.
Today it was the latter. There’s a time and a place to eat light and healthy. But there’s also a time and a place to indulge; and when I do, I like it to be homemade. Although the calories might be similar to take out, I still prefer to make it myself at home. Which might leave you wondering, what’s the point?
Well the point is that I know exactly what’s in this flatbread and I feel good about that. I know that the flatbread dough is freshly made and without preservatives. I know that the veggies are freshly washed and sliced. In a world where we know so little about what we are consuming, I feel better making my indulgences at home. Not to mention that I can have a glass of wine and walk around in my underwear while I do so!
So if you’re having friends over this weekend and you feel like indulging, try this recipe! Or if you’re staying in with a glass of wine and Dateline by yourself this weekend, try this recipe! Don’t forget, if you make this super easy appetizer tag #midwestfoodie on Instagram or Midwest Foodie on Facebook and I’ll feature you in my stories! I wanna see your delicious food people!!
If you like this loaded flatbread, make sure you check out my Caramelized Onion & Gorgonzola Flatbread recipe too!Print
When you want to indulge a bit, this loaded baked potato flatbread will be waiting. Share it with friends over a glass of wine this weekend!
- 1 packet yeast (2 1/4 teaspoons)
- 3/4 cup lukewarm water
- 2 cups all purpose flour + more for flouring work surface
- 1/2 tsp Kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon + more for oiling dough
- 1 large Russet or red potato, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- drizzle olive oil
- Kosher salt
- fresh cracked pepper
- 1.5 cups shredded cheddar or mozzarella cheese
- 4 strips cooked bacon, crumbled
- sour cream for serving
- 4 stalks green onion, thinly sliced
- Add yeast to a large bowl. Pour water over yeast and set aside for 5 minutes. Then use a fork to stir in flour, salt and oil. Once the dough starts to pull away from the sides of the bowl and come together, turn it out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead dough for 5 minutes. Coat ball of dough with olive oil, place in the large bowl, cover with saran wrap or a clean kitchen towel. Let rise for 1 hour in the warmest part of your kitchen.
Assemble and Bake:
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Divide your dough ball in half and lightly flour your work surface. Roll each half into a rectangle about 8×12 inches. Transfer to a parchment lined baking sheet and poke surface of the dough all over with a fork. Bake for 5 minutes, then remove from oven and gather your ingredients.
- Place potatoes in a single layer, slightly overlapping across each flatbread. Top with garlic, onion and oregano. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Divide cheese and crumbled bacon between two flatbreads.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until crust is nicely brown and cheese is melted. Garnish with sour cream and sliced green onion and enjoy!
Keywords: flatbread, potato, family dinner, weeknight meals, bread, easy, simple, quick, recipe